Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les_P
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M) Reply with quote

This is my first post so please be gentle.

Apologies to any who feel I am dragging up old stuff again.

I have read the posts from December 2005 and still have unanswered questions.

These cameras have been noted during several trips in past years and I have treated them like speed cameras.

On installing the PocketGPSWorld camera database recently, I was surprised not to see them marked.

There are 2 types of camera that look like they are similar but older and newer designs.

The 'newer' type are on the A1(M) from the M1 north of Leeds up to jcn 49 and are described in the aforementioned posts from Dec. 05. The older type are on the M1/A1(M) link round Leeds.

Heading North (Northwest - Tyneside), the first is on the verge on the M62 at Jcn 29 just as the lanes set up for exit to the M1 (North). There are several others along the length of the M1/A1(M) link.

The configuration is 2 cameras on the top of a pole approx. 30% taller than regular surveillance camera poles, one camera looking at the oncoming traffic, the other looking directly down at the proximity loops that are in all 3 lanes.

When they occur, there is a matching pair on the other carriageway.

If these are cameras used for managing traffic signs, why is one camera looking at the oncoming traffic and the other at the proximity loops in the carriageway?

Thanks in advance.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i THINK they are just for monitoring the junction, i.e. cctv.

if i get chance i may take a drive later on to have a look.

cheers

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt. Try and get there before I go up north to my sister's (I come off at junction 46). No great rush as I have no plans at present, but probably some time later this year. Don't bother if the cameras are north of that!! Laughing
Dennis

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had chance today, will try later in the week

MaFt
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that these cameras were included in the database for a short period, until it was realised that were traffic monitoring cameras, not speed cameras.

I use this road 3 or 4 times a year, and I am certainly not aware of any permanent speed cameras on it.
aspects
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M) Reply with quote

Hi Les, I work in a control centre that monitors CCTV cameras in this area, and I am almost certain they are not CCTV.

What colour are they? If they are bark blue then they are almost certainly Trafficmaster monitoring sensors.

Hope this helps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a photo?
Les_P
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M) Reply with quote

Hi aspects.

The 'older' type, the ones on the M1/A1(M) link round Leeds are white on the top of a rather tall pole. Their shape is similar to that of regular CCTV cameras in that they are long with a square (ish) section with the top extending over the front lens to protect from sunlight and rain etc.

The newer ones (A1M to Jcn 49) are mounted on poles of a more normal height and are 'dome' type cameras: A white body with a clear hemispherical dome beneath. In this configuration it is not possible to 'see' which way the cameras are pointing but the configuration is always the same with the 2 cameras on top of the pole always at the same angle.

I first noticed them a couple of years ago as the pole on the 'older' version was so much taller than regular poles and they stuck out because there were 2 cameras on top of each pole and all in the same configuration: One looking at the oncoming traffic and the other looking directly at the proximity loops in the tarmac of all 3 lanes at the foot of the pole.

I am sure they are not traffic master, as sure as I can be that they are not monitoring junctions as they are not always at a junction and, when they are, the cameras are not pointing at the junction, as sure as I can be that they are not regular CCTV as sometimes there is a CCTV camera nearby and I don't see CCTV requiring one camera to be looking at loops in the carriageways, and that they are not number plate recognition as, again, I don't see this requiring one camera to be looking at loops in the carriageways.

Hoping someone can throw light on what they are doing.

Thanks

Les.
Les_P
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M) Reply with quote

Hi Andy.

Sorry I don't have a photo.

I have searched for them on all the places I could find on the net with pictures of various camera types but without success.
TezmitcH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of the camera's you are talking about and they were a concern for myself when driving from Peterborough to Middlesbrough over the christmas/new year break. However I and many other cars were travelling well in excess of the speed limit past these in both directions. I've not heard anything regarding my speeding past these since.
I think that they were installed when the road was rerouted and the roadworks limited the traffic to 1 lane. The route did offer a free breakdown recovery service and I presume these were used to locate such broken down cars etc.
On another note as we are in that area, I noticed that my latest TomTom maps have errors on the route of the new part of the A1. Although they show on the maps the positioning is way out for a few miles or so.

Tez
Les_P
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tez.

Thanks for your update.

The thing that is working me out for an explanation is why is one camera looking right at the oncoming cars and the other right down at the proximity loops in the carriageways?
Twistedbitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am interested to know what they are…

I have put a link to some photos of the two different types of camera. The images where taken in almost darkness so hope you can make them out.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gingerfrogs/album?.dir=/dcc1re2&.src=ph&.tok=phq2QJGBJR6cxdZu

I can guarantee that they are not speed cameras, as I know people who would have had something through the post by now. Wink
Les_P
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera type on M1/A1M link round Leeds and A1(M) Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

Those are the babies.

Anyone any ideas as it would be nice to know what they are.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like cctv to me
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if the cameras aren't yellow and they don't have either a flash (Gatso/Monitron) or an infrared illuminator (SPECS and ANPR) then they probably aren't speed cameras.

One of the few exceptions is the TowerBridge SPECS system which is not painted yellow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: