Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie question (tomtom 910)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie question (tomtom 910)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: newbie question (tomtom 910) Reply with quote

All

First post, so apologies if:

i) in wrong place Embarassed
ii) you are fed up of answering this question. Evil or Very Mad

[dont worry - I am thick skinned!]

Anyway, jsut bought a tomtom910 - first satnav ever.

Have gone through this website re. the speed camera database and think I can manage (famous last words) in putting it onto my kit. I do have questions though:

i) How does that interact with the speed camera warnings I already get [I have not subscribed to anything - just activated the speed camera option that came in the box]

ii) Do I delete the Tomtom ones and just use the warnigs from this database, or do they work together. DOes that mean double warnings for cameras?

iii) Is there anything else I need to do , or is it simply the case of following the instructions on the link below (ie ignoring everything else on this website)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go-910.php

Again, sorry if these are muppet questions, but please bear with me!!!

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, He first thing you need to do before adding or deleting anything from your device is to back it up fully to the PC.
The speed camera guide you mention will get you up and running fully with the 910, you will get double warnings for some cameras because the TomTom database is still loaded, I suggest you have a read through the FAQ page which can be found near the top of the TomTom One, Go, Rider section of the forum, it will detail what to do.
If you want to use the PGPSW speed camera database you will need to be a payed subscribed member of the site in order to access the members area of the site - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to emphasise what Mike says -
Use BOTH backup options - Tom Tom Home but also Win Explorer (create a folder and copy EVERYTHING to it - before doing so ensure you have all files and extensions showing). Apparently the Win Explorer method is more comprehensive than TT Home.

If my experience is anything to go by you'll find that the TT camera database is quite old and inaccurate. Before it can be much use to you, you'll have to subscribe to TT in order to be able to update it to whatever they have as current. Here's an interesting project - contact Tom Tom and ask them how many cameras are on their current database and how frequently they have updated their camera database in the last six months. The answer for this site is approx 11,200 cameras, updated 12 times (unless I've missed some by being away on holiday).

You will also find that TT cameras come in six types - 30mph, 40, 50, 60, 70 and "Others" (I'm not sure what the "Others" are), but from here you can get 24 in five categories - Gatso (and similar), Mobile, Special (average speed), Temporary (roadworks) and Redlight.
Regards
Dennis

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jbw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both

Sounds like a good Sat afternoon job to me....

[have already backed up, but will do via WE also now]
jbw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all worked brilliantly!

Next question. If I find:

i) A camera that is not on the database

ii) Something that gives an incorrect warning (eg fixed 70mph instead of variable)

what do I do?

Does this then get me free lifetime membership!!! :D :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same page as you download the camera files from is the "Submission" form"
You can add new cams, or report inaccuracies or removals of a single camera position using a Google map, or you can submit a TomTom format ov2 file with several on.

You get free lifetime subscription if you are the first to submit details of a new FIXED camera position (or change to an existing one). For the full details take a look at this question and the ones following it in the FAQs:-

Q. How can I get Free Lifetime Membership?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider installing POICapture you can use this add on software to capture the camera's and record the speed, type and direction - well worth it - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: