Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there a 'best' PDA GPS system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a 'best' PDA GPS system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenpreston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Is there a 'best' PDA GPS system Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked lots before. Confused

I'm looking for a bluetooth GPS routing system (probably based around an ipaq 2210) - I'll be primarily using it in-car, but later on I'd like the possibility to extend the system for walking cross-country (Memory Maps or similar) - hence my interest in bluetooth.

Its difficult to tell from the software/hardware reviews which is the best system to go for (they all seem pretty good). Are there any side-by-side comparisons, or does anyone have any advice on whether a particular system has the edge over its rivals?

My research to date is making me look towards Tom Tom or CoPilot. I suppose my priorities for the software would be something like :

1. Best routing algorthm (do any let you set preferences between major and minor roads, or take into account traffic blackspots).
2. Ease of entering address (postcodes or through Outlook contacts list).
3. Clarity of routing display/audio instructions.

For the hardware, it would probably be:

1. Stability of bluetooth link.
2. Battery life.
3. TTFF.

Although there may be issues I've not considered 8) .
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did already get the correct impression - there is no single program that would be ideal. Not because they are not trying, but mostly because different people (and cultures) think differently about what "ideal" actually means.

For your parameters I personally would answer like this

1) Mapopolis, followed by TomTom, then Routis and CoPilot
2) Depending on who you speak to this is either Destinator or TomTom - this is a particular example of cultural differenes and perceptions, with all those funny post codes and triple road names etc.
3) TomTom, followed by Routis

On the hardware front, forget about TTFF - all current receivers are good at that, and there is a technical limit anyhow (when your receiver has lost its memory it needs a minimum of 36 seconds undisturbed reception to get the base data from the sats again). Focus on battery life and on case design - doesn't hurt when the receiver looks cool ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really only going to touch upon CoPilot and TomTom as this is what you have sort of narrowed your selection process down to.

1) Both have pretty good routing algorithms, although I would say TomTom is slightly more refined.

2) TTN2 won't support UK postcodes, CoPilot will, but only the first part of the postcode which basically results in you not having to type in a town/city which can be preferential, you still need to enter the road name to narrow you down closer to your anticipated destination.

3) CoPilot excels because it speaks using fonix TTS (Text To Speech) so it reads full road names. It's a little hard to get used to at the start, but it will grow on you and I find that it means your eyes then don't have to be glued to the map screen watching for the next junction. TTN2 still gives you directional turns (audible) turn left, turn right, but no road names spoken.

Other features are that both CoPilot and TTN2 support Customisable POI's including speed camera support, but TTN2 currently supports this a little bit better than CoPilot does in it's present form.

1) Stability of Bluetooth is down to the Pocket PC and whether it's processor is being taxed.

2) Battery life is down to the Bluetooth GPS Receiver, some support 6h, 8h, 12h, 16h, it really depends on the GPS you go for. iPAQ battery life is really a non-sequator because you will have a charger cable in-car. Outside of the car, you'll get up to 4 hours use on average.

3) TTFF in most cases should be sub one minute from cold, so this is what you should expect if you use the GPS once or twice a day. Other outside factors can affect GPS TTFF's, but the average is usually around 50-70 seconds.

You will also need a mounting system to hold the Pocket PC to either the windscreen, a vent mount or to the dashboard, a storage card (at least 128mb) but get the most you can afford at the time as you WILL use it.
stephenpreston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for your help. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: