Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems receving GPS Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems receving GPS Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Problems receving GPS Signal Reply with quote

I have a Ipaq 3870 with TT 2 Navigator installed, and a Rikaline 6010 receiver, I was using it with a Navman 3000 which picks up the GPS fine. If I plug in the rikaline, Nothing, Zip ,just sits there, greyed out. Sad I have recently upgraded the TT GPS to ver 2.9 and I also use the Rikaline with a XDA2 and TT2 which works fantastic. :D I just cant figure it out why it aint working with the Ipaq at all, Could it be something to do with the Navman 3000 serial driver??
By the way, in the GPS screen I select the Rikaline and serial on Com 1 which Im assuming is correct. I have also tried the TomTom Gps, nothing there either.

Help
Thanks
Stumped! Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a keyboard driver installed on the 3870? If so, uninstall it, as it will block access to the serial port.

David
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Further to above Reply with quote

Just before anyone asks I have tried Winfast Navigator, and again it is dead, but remember the receiver is fine working with my XDA, just not with the ipaq,(although the NAVman jacket works with the IPAQ)

Strange old world aint it! Rolling Eyes
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

Errr how would I find that out? any ideas?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A keyboard driver is something that would have to be deliberately loaded. All you can do is look through the Programs screen, and the various tabs on the Settings screen to see if you can see a keyboard driver there.

As an alternative, tap "Remove Programs" on the System (second tab) of the Settings screen - and look down the list. Keyboard drivers will probably show there. If one shows and you don't have a keyboard, remove it! On my machine I have "iPAQ Foldable Keyboard V3.03" in the list - because I do have a HP/Compaq foldable keyboard for my machine.

David
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked right through and their is no driver on or any mention of one, do you think it could have something to do with the NAVman serial driver??
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just read your original post again, I think I've figured this one out. Unless you've got an iPAQ cable for the Rikaline (I had assumed you had one, now I'm not so sure), the Rikaline GPS isn't going to work with the iPAQ.

Although the XDA uses the same type of connector as the iPAQ, and the power pins are the same, the serial port pins are not in the same order. It isn't going to work unless you use an iPAQ cable. (The same issue is present between the Medion in the Aldi package and the iPAQ - same connector, different pin-out).

David
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Confused I am using the supplied double serial/power cable which came with the rikaline, This has a round plug type affair which connects to the receiver itself, what IPAQ cable are you referring to?
Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a different cable set; that's the bit that has three connectors, one for the round connector on the GPS cable, the second for the Pocket PC and the third is the cigarette lighter plug. The one you've got is for the XDA - to get this GPS to work on the iPAQ you'll need an iPAQ one. Make sure the one you buy is for the Rikaline GPS you have - maybe someone can point you to a UK source for these. Expect to pay somewhere between 20 and 30 pounds.

You can switch the GPS between the two, of course - just remember to label the cables so you know which is which!

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial connector supplies with the Rikaline to connect to the XDA will not work with the iPAQ. Although they share the same connector they are connected internally in a different way.

You will need to source the correct Rikaline 6010 - iPAQ adapter cable for it to work with this combination.
prognosis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, thanks for your help :D Ill let you know how it goes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: