Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - data logger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

data logger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
autoq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: data logger Reply with quote

Firstly, great site - good information ... :D
Secondly I am looking for a device that will reasonably accurately store/log position and altitude ( for elementary PPL flight data recording - no coated windscreen issue or urban canyon issues here ). I am not using it in anyway for navigation/ map display while in the air - my usual machine has a Bendix King SkyMap III for that (backup) purpose.
I had been considering a SirfIII BT receiver e.g. Holux236 or BT338, but am now considering either a BlueLogger or a Royaltek3000. I like the idea of being able to start these devices before I leave , and then let them log my journey.
However , these don't seem to be any SirfIII devices which do this - are there any in the pipeline - if so does anybody know how long until they appear .....
Having a data logger would be a lot easier than carrying PDA/receiver, etc with me.
I presently have a Palm T2 PDA which limits the choice of software somewhat ( I am also slightly concerned about the BT connectivity with some of these devices )but don't want to have to update that presently.
I had set my self a limit of < £100 for just the receiver ( and can get myself a RoytalTek3000with UK plug for that. I can also get a DeLorme Bluelogger for about the same price albeit with US Map software which I don't think I'll need .... )
I also like the idea that at some point in the future, I could setup a Car SatNav type system using the device also.
My other option, I think, might be a standalone device e.g. Garmin Geko301, Vista ,etc as they both do dedicated altitude recording, but (a) they're more expensive and (b) not really useable in a carNav Sat-Nav setup ,etc. I'm also not sure how much logging they can do i.e. will they log altitude as well as position ,etc .
Also , do I need to care about EGNOS support ... ?
Any alternatives/advice would be appreciated ...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiRF III is certainly better but so far no data logger is available with that chipset. For your reception conditions SiRF II seems to be sufficient anyhow.

I would prefer the DeLorme because it has the bigger memory (50000 data points)

EGNOS is not really an issue (even though the DeLorme supports SBAS) - that's more for surveying tasks. Unless you want to use the signal for the final approach - then it would be nice to have the added data accuracy, particularly for the altitude Confused

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
autoq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: GPS data logger follow-up - and other GPSquestions Reply with quote

Just a follow up.
Eventually bought a RoyalTek RBT3000 unit for about £70 from the US.
Its not a SirfIII unit but it doesn't really need to be. This device is ideal. The provided software installed easily onto Laptop , Desktop and Palm PDA. Bluetooth connection was simple and the device is really easy to config.
Data logging was excellent. Switched the device on just before doing the startup checklist. Switched it off on engine off. Nothing else required - simple and not a distraction.
Downloaded the tracklog from the device onto desktop - so easy.
Uploaded into gpsvisualizer.com to get a gpx file and a google kml file.
Also ran it ito goflying.org ( Smile )where I'd previously entered my intended flight-track. I can now compare my intended flight track with the real one (altitude data is also logged included) - and get them both overlaid onto google earth.
The entire process from download to eventual display on google earth takes around 10 mins total.
Having a device like this might well be of use for cross-countrying students - the FI can review things like altitude, track with the student after, etc.
I'd love to know about some of the config options e.g.
what exactly is degraded mode (is it what the GPS device does when it can't get a proper signal - should I have this set to on or off ?) .
Also what is the elevation mask , DOP mask (PDOP, HDOP, GDOP ? ) , SBAS mode .
Also difference(s) between SIRF and NMEA mode - is it just the format of the stored data ?, and also (for NMEA mode) what is the effect of changing the GGA ,GGL, GSV values ( they seem to be integers - are they e.g. seconds between measuring points ,etc ?

Any info links to FAQ pages ,etc would be appreciated Smile
amiry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Sirf 3 data logger Reply with quote

Actualy there is one:

http://mobilegpsonline.com/mgpsos/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=425

does any one tryed it ? ?

Amir

lbendlin wrote:
SiRF III is certainly better but so far no data logger is available with that chipset. For your reception conditions SiRF II seems to be sufficient anyhow.

I would prefer the DeLorme because it has the bigger memory (50000 data points)

EGNOS is not really an issue (even though the DeLorme supports SBAS) - that's more for surveying tasks. Unless you want to use the signal for the final approach - then it would be nice to have the added data accuracy, particularly for the altitude Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: