Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tools for PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tools for PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Tools for PDA Reply with quote

Hi, Just downloaded Checkpoint /Safety Camera Database,what a good bit of kit it is as well,works a treat,thanks very much for all the work you guys do Thumbs Up if i spot any uncharted cameras i will let you know. Mr. Green

One queston , do i need to get a program for my 2210 for defraging/tools ect ,like i do on my main computer,if so whats the best one i should get?

thanks trevor
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem glad you like it! Just submit them to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com

Storage Cards can become fragmented, there has been talk recently about fragmentation, fragmentation doesn't occur as bad as it does say on hard disks, but fragmentation is still there due to the nature of the formatting used. Personally I don't defrag my cards, then again I don't defrag my hard drives either because my hard drive takes around 70 hours to defrag Sad but I guess it's something I should start doing at some point.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Dave thanks, i guess i will just leave well alone in that case,

Just one point, your pocket gps themes are they ok for my pocket pc 2003 ,as they say for 2002 ,rather fed up with present today screen Question

cheers

trevor
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket PC 2002 themes work perfectly on Pocket PC 2003. There is a slight bug in the Microsoft program used to create themes - the auto-upload doesn't work on a Pocket PC 2003 device, but that's not relevant here.

For defragmentation of PC hard disks, I'd recommend Diskeeper 8.0 (either Home edition, or if it's necessary for the OS you run, Professional - my machines run Windows XP Professional, so I need Diskeeper 8.0 Professional). I find the performance improvement of properly defragmented hard disks worthwhile, and the "Set It And Forget It" means you don't have to worry about defragmenting your PC consciously if you choose an appropriate option for your PC (either screensaver or timer).

Defragmentation of storage cards is less important for many users, particularly as they leave the contents of their storage cards pretty static. If you do want a formatting and defragmentation program for your storage cards, check out Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic or SoftWinter's StorageTools.

There's a little more discussion on defragmentation in this thread.

David
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although be warned Twisted Evil . PocketMechanic completely trashed my install. Everyone says it's a great util and I have no doubt it is but I had a bad experience with it. Worth backing up before considering defragging I should think.
Matt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with storage cards (and the iPAQ File Store) being trashed by various software when the Pocket PC switched off during a write. The iPAQ File Store in particular has a very slow write speed, which can give the impression that software has hung.

Pocket Mechanic is going through a period of rapid evolution - there's as many as two new versions a week. At the time of writing, version 1.43 appears current.

There's been various changes to the defragmentation code, particularly in 1.40. The new code should be much safer, in that all dirty FAT sectors are immediately flushed to the storage device.

I don't discount your experience - it can happen. The best advice is to have a backup before trying to do anything major to a storage card, including defragment it.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: