Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc Reply with quote

I just got my c710 on friday, trading up from a 269. First off, I have to say that i have mixed feelings....

1) I badly miss the poi-warner install I had on the 269

2) Miomap 3 is not intuitive, and has taken a day to get used to. Miomap 2 felt comfortable right out of the box

3) I preferred the female voice on the 269

4) Speed limits are HOPELESSLY wrong around here (Gloucester). I would say that the disply is wrong for 60 to 70% of the time!!

OK good points:
It is quicker.
The TMC now works (and with an arial split feeding it there are countless pages of messages)
Outlook sync is good, and the bluetooth hook up worked straight away, even with my obscure Toshiba 803 phone!

Comments
I will have to turn off the speed limits as they as so badly wrong. Its a shame they cant be marked by users in the same way as cams, and sync'd back. I'll have to read up on here and find out how to tweak the voice!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc Reply with quote

Interesting comments John
JohnRicketts wrote:

I will have to turn off the speed limits as they as so badly wrong. Its a shame they cant be marked by users in the same way as cams, and sync'd back. I'll have to read up on here and find out how to tweak the voice!

Assuming that you have the options set to miles and not km (which I am sure you have!) then the road speed errors will be down to the Teleatlas maps and will be the same for any unit using the same maps. I have found 40 mph roads which are marked 50, and 50 mph roads which are marked 70, and these are no doubt new restrictions that the map people haven't caught up with. Whether another map supplier will be any better I couldn't say.

Sal
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Interesting comments John
JohnRicketts wrote:

Assuming that you have the options set to miles and not km (which I am sure you have!) then the road speed errors will be down to the Teleatlas maps and will be the same for any unit using the same maps. I have found 40 mph roads which are marked 50, and 50 mph roads which are marked 70, and these are no doubt new restrictions that the map people haven't caught up with. Whether another map supplier will be any better I couldn't say.

Sal

Hi Sally,

Yes, Set to miles/yards. As as an example, I drove my daughter 8 miles last night to a friends house. Starting from gloucester, via a village called Maisemore to Hartbury. The route is signed 50mph for most of the way, and drops to 30mph through Maisemore and coming into Hartbury. On the c710, the display said 60mph the whole time! At the moment, it is just not worth giving it the real-estate on the cockpit display.
John
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: c710 - Miomap3.2 - erroneous speed limits etc Reply with quote

JohnRicketts wrote:
At the moment, it is just not worth giving it the real-estate on the cockpit display.
John

I don't blame you John, I don't think the magistrate would accept "But TeleAtlas said it was a 60mph road" as a sufficient excuse. Evil or Very Mad

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that if one has speed warnings turned off that it still draws the speed limit icon. Takes up a lot of space.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
It's a shame that if one has speed warnings turned off that it still draws the speed limit icon. Takes up a lot of space.

You can move it about, or remove it altogether if you care to edit the data.zip file.

Sal
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm possibly in a minority of one but i like the speed limit warnings

admitted they're not always correct but it does at least draw your attention to your speedo - especially if you're entering a lower speed limit or on a long reduced limit (30 or 40) stretch where it's so easy for your speed to drift upwards

FuzzyDuck started a wishlist thread and i'd like the ability to update speed limits as well as cameras

...again i think this must be one of those personal preference things
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
i'm possibly in a minority of one but i like the speed limit warnings

admitted they're not always correct but it does at least draw your attention to your speedo - especially if you're entering a lower speed limit or on a long reduced limit (30 or 40) stretch where it's so easy for your speed to drift upwards

FuzzyDuck started a wishlist thread and i'd like the ability to update speed limits as well as cameras

...again i think this must be one of those personal preference things

I agree - my kids find it a constant source of humour me shouting at philipa that the speed limit is 50 not 30!!! Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: