Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd Experience with Tomtom TMC Traffic - Other Stations Work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Experience with Tomtom TMC Traffic - Other Stations Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Odd Experience with Tomtom TMC Traffic - Other Stations Work Reply with quote

Well this is a bit of an odd one,

First of all let me say my setup is non standard!. I have a 910 but as well as the V6.5 Western Europe Map I also have V6.6 UK & Ireland (Taken from my TT1 V2)

picked up a new TomTom TMC Antenna in Sheffield this morning,

plugged into the dock and waited 2 mins, green light appeared, checked the disply Real Radio (Sheffield), Figured here we go green light no traffic wrong network, but lo and behold it started to download traffic and diverted me away from the M1 for my journey home to Mansfield.

Kept and eye on the system out outside Chesterfield service changed to Peak FM, recalcualted a new route on to London and sure enough traffic down to London was showing.

Worked all the way home.

Anyway, now I check my unit and find I have V6.6 UK & Ireland Maps selected,

So switch maps to Western and Central Europe V6.5 Unit finds BBC Radio 2 and green lights and refuses to budge! No traffic of course.

Try switching bak to UK & Ireland V6.6 now the unit locks and green lights to Mansfield FM, Green Light no traffic.

So whats happening

Are the TMC codes on the UK & Ireland Map different from the ones on the 910s Western Europe map and allowing it to lock to the Non Classic FM Services.

I have messed around with TMC for years and this one has me flumuxed.

At least with the Garmin you can get to a diagnostic page and find out what is happening.

I am back up to Sheffield again later in the week so will see if the Real Radio / Peak FM services work again, or maybe now I have used the Euro map it has locked the reciever out from them!

I really dont know but thought I would share.

Cheers

Richard
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found an interesting forum devoted to things TMC....
http://www.tmcforum.com

They say:
Quote:
There are two TMC services in the UK. These are provided by ITIS and by Trafficmaster.

ITIS launched its UK national TMC service ("iTMC") in January 2002. iTMC is broadcast on a unique and exclusive RDS sub-carrier licence on Classic FM, the UK's only nation FM commercial broadcaster. The service covers 95% of the strategic road network in the UK.

Trafficmaster operates a commercial TMC service in the UK, which was launched in 2004. The service is broadcast within the FM radio spectrum licensed to two of the UK’s leading 2 commercial radio broadcasters, Gcap Media Plc and Chrysalis; who between them provide a broadcast network that delivers national coverage for the Trafficmaster service.

GCapMedia own an awful lot of radio stations (including Capital Radio in London) so maybe it IS being broadcast by other stations.

Unfortunately, ITIS had a link to a website, but Trafficmaster only an email address for enquiries, and I haven't found any specific details about frequencies/stations on that site.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Have you joined this forum? - if so whats it like?

tmc forum wrote:
An annual membership fee is charged to support the cost of operating the Forum. For the Year 2006 this fee is 4200 Euro plus VAT
A tad steep if you want the frequencys/ locations and power levels let me know I have both Classic FM (iTIS) and Traffic Master aerials as POI files.
Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: