Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie: POI Loader & Camera POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie: POI Loader & Camera POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Newbie: POI Loader & Camera POI's Reply with quote

Hi all, was wondering if you can help me. I've subscribed to the website, downloaded the camera DB, downloaded the newst POILoader from Garmin and installed it.

Hardware is a Nuvi 310D.

However I cant get the POILoader to recognise anything. Specifically: I connect the Nuvi via USB, the little graphic comes up on the Nuvi's screen and XP pops up a dialog box for me to do stuff with the removable drive.

I fire up POILoader and all I see is the text "Welcome to POILoader... ...where your Garmin GPS can read it.". There isn't any buttons to press on the application, simply nothing at all. I uninstalled it and redownloaded it to no avail as well.

I've downloaded the instruction pdf from this website and it looks as though I should have a 'Next' button or something. If I open up the webupdater software it does find my device, but beyond that I'm stumped.

So does anyone have any ideas please as I would like to have a play with it on my way to work tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.
S
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the Nuvi, but just a thought. I had to install drivers from the CD-ROM that came with my i3 before connecting it to the PC. Have you?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita, thanks for the post. I checked the included disk and manual. In the manual it doesn't say to install any drivers. On the disk there were .inf files so I installed them regardless figuring it cant make it any worse, however still no joy.

I'm tempted to just copy them across to the drive but I'm not sure if this is enough...

Any other suggestions??

Cheers,
S
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember seeing this before on the forum and i think it was to do with screen resolution messing up the display of poi loader or something...

there should be a button that says 'find device' which, when pressed, pulls up a list of the 'removable devices' - try searching the forums for it or try reinstalling the poi loader software.

as you suggest, you can't just copy the files to the nuvi as poi loader converts everything to its own format.

MaFt
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a quick look through some posts but didn't spot anything likely. I had a quick try as well at changing the resolution of my monitor with no luck either.

Picture being a 1000 words and all I've taken a screenie of what Im presented with. Hopefully will help.

http://www.zodiacamateurproductions.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Nuvi-Probs1.JPG

Thanks to all,
S
mrgthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you plugged in you sat nav for the first time did it install it all onto Windows automatically as you do appear to have a button or two missing from the POI Loader screeen ? 8O
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.e. When I first installed Mapsource? It did nothing except bring up the removable drive prompts IIRC.

However your correct in saying that I have buttons missing from the POILoader screen, I included a link to a screenshot showing this, and itf memory serves I've never seen any buttons with this application....
Sad
Cheers,
S
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been covered before on the forum....

There are a number of possible fixes, but firstly, are you running the latest POI Loader available from Garmin (as this should fix this problem) v2.3.2.0.

However, is your taskbar at the top of the screen? If so, move it to the bottom and it'll work fine.

If not, then have you set any different settings - changed default system font, increased the dpi for easier viewing, got any of the accessibility options turned on? Many programs don't fully cope with these, and they coiuld be the cause.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you're running vista... either that or you've changed various settings to affect the display - so it could be that

MaFt
Screamer777
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, I do have my taskbar at the top and when I moved it back to the bottom it worked fine. Strange.

I did have a good go through the forum with the search utility but didn't spot the fix. My thanks to you Swing and MaFt for your help.

I'll also pass it on to the chap in Garmin who was trying to help.

Cheers,
S

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: