Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can Garmin Do This ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Garmin Do This ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Can Garmin Do This ? Reply with quote

OK my heads been spinning whether to get 360 or TomTom910 and it comes down to this can Garmin do the Custom POI bit i.e I use this feature alot as follows:

I find a new place I want to add go to the POI bit and click add new POI it asks whether New Catagory or existing catagory and you go from there inputting the name etc and where it is i.e existing GPS pasition.

Is there anything that the TOmTOm can do that the Garmin can't and vis versa?

What's the chaepest price people have seen the Garmin 360
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread will answer some of your questions.

I've never tried adding to the Custom POIs directly on the Garmin, as it's so easy to update the files on the PC (either directly or via MapSource), and I help keep the files at Garmin POI Website up to date so that others don't need to.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK after 2 days searching arround and looking at my funds I can't afford the 360 without waiting 4 weeks and i'm one of those persons who finds it hard to wait. So at presant I can manage £225 which will get me a 310 Nuvi, looking at the specs it should do what my TomTom 500 can do but with a better GPS Chipset and better maps accuracy. Apparatly there Support is supposed to be alot better. Please can you inform me about the following points ASAP as i'm going to place my order tomorow if the comments are o.k. Also please tell me if you can see it cheaper than £225 anywere inc delivery:

I've got aload of POI on my TomTom 500 like B&Q and Homebase POI that I use for my job can I with ease get these from my TomTom to my Garmin.

Is there anything what so ever that my TomTom 500 can do that the Garmin cannot.

What Garantee do you get from garmin i.e 12Mnths, 24Mnths.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian , if you can stretch to £299 ,you can get a 310 with tmc and a street level europe dvd at halfords..and if you talk nicely to the manager like i did , he will knock off another £15 discount (£285.00)....
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the full download from Mafts Garmin POI website as swing has talked of above + the speed camera database from this fine site and POI downloads of thousand of other continental POI's from a similiar European site as I work around europe and also european speed cams that are not as up to date as this sites UK version.
At last count I think my nuvi 350 just over 100000 poi's if that helps at all.
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re above, you can get a nuvi 310T / deluxe here for £280.

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Or try, http://www.blokesstuff.com/?gclid=CKr5v93dw4gCFRtNEgodHkyAKQ

They have the nuvi 360 and the new 610 very reasonable, special deal on the 300 with TMC apparently.

Dil..

adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
I have the full download from Mafts Garmin POI website as swing has talked of above + the speed camera database from this fine site and POI downloads of thousand of other continental POI's from a similiar European site as I work around europe and also european speed cams that are not as up to date as this sites UK version.
At last count I think my nuvi 350 just over 100000 poi's if that helps at all.

i use the same poi database create a new folder and put them in there and then also put the speedcamera database in it go to garmin poi loader point it to the new folder and thats it??all the pois you will ever need?? Wink heres the link http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/ Smile
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll add this question to this thread as it's pointless keep satrting new threads:

I heard the Gramin will tell you if your going over the speed limit when approaching a camera. Does it only imform you of the camera if you are going over the limit or all the time also how does this faeture work. i.e do you have to put a certain speed camera database into it for it to work or will this feature work with all the pocketgps cmaera databases that are maent for garmin i.e consolidated, single etc.

After having the 500 it's becoming hard to braek away from TOMTOM i'm trying hard to convince myself but everytime I switch the tomtom on it does everything I sak and with ease but i'm sure once i get the garmin i'll become attached to that I hope!.

Also I heard that you can adapt the car that garmin uses instaed of the arrow tomtom uses is that easy to do ?

Does Garmin give discounted Map upgrades to existing customers like tomtom ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianhaslett wrote:
do you have to put a certain speed camera database into it for it to work or will this feature work with all the pocketgps cmaera databases that are maent for garmin i.e consolidated, single etc.
Using either the consolidated files or the zoned files the Garmin POI Loader automatically recognises the speed limit from within the data file, and creates the correct alerts for you.
Quote:
Also I heard that you can adapt the car that garmin uses instaed of the arrow tomtom uses is that easy to do ?
You use the Garmin WebUpdater to download new car styles, and then there is a menu option to choose between the loaded vehicles. ie very easy.
Quote:
Does Garmin give discounted Map upgrades to existing customers like tomtom ?
Yes.
drlargepants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: 310 Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
adrian , if you can stretch to £299 ,you can get a 310 with tmc and a street level europe dvd at halfords..

Cheaper again online...

btw, what are these like, any better than a Mio 710 ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: