Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One of us is crazy.... :?:
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One of us is crazy.... :?:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimj40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: One of us is crazy.... :?: Reply with quote

I've just got an i3 as an "upgrade" to my StreetPilot III but I'm not sure that it's been a wise move.

I've programmed in my home and it recognises the location ok but if I then stop outside the house and invite it to Go Home, it suggests a 1.6 mile drive to the next road along, a right turn until I rejoin the original road and then a 1.5 mile drive back to the house.

The first time I used it, to go 3 miles to the shops, I asked it to Go Home afterwards and firstly it wanted me to go in the opposite direction, towards a route which is about a 12 mile trip. When I insisted on going in what I know is the correct direction it "recalculated" then took me past both the correct turnings, insisted on a turn about 2 miles on into a sort of lay-by that would lead me back onto the main road and then wanted us to go back the way we'd just come. I just drove home regardless and was then rewarded by a smug voice telling me we'd arrived!

Does that make any sense to anyone out there? It has software 3.10 and audio 2.5 plus v8 of the maps.

PS It also declined to sound any kind of alarm at my local 50mph Gatso, even though I was doing 62 (purely as a test!). When I stopped about 100 yards past the camera, it showed its location correctly in the Custom Points. I'm trying out cdrom's utility to see if the individual CSVs work better than the single gpx but I'm starting to wonder if Garmin's been infiltrated by BP or the Old Bill!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got anything set-up strange in the settings/ Navigation/ Avoidances option "Avoid Highways" for example will make the device go for strange routes! while you are in that menu make sure "Avoid Unpaved Roads IS selected.
Route Preferences set to "Faster Time"
Vehicle - assuming you are using a car is it set to Car?

Proximity Alerts set to ON - this might be why you got no warnings - Mike
jimj40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike.

One mystery solved - it came with Avoid U-turns on! Now it believes that we are at home. I'm not sure why this would take me the long way home to start with though but I'll see what happens next time I go shopping. Everything else seems fine as regards the settings ("Car/Motorcycle" was as near as I could get to "Kia Picanto" Laughing ) but I have also set the Unpaved Roads option, as we have a plethora of those in this neck of the woods.

Proximity Alerts are on, as is Faster Time but it seems from other postings that some people have found the individual CSV files to work better than the big gpx so I'm somewhat hopeful there...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth I only ever use the 24 file set speed zoned csv files on my Garmin units - strange option to have set "avoid U turns" but at least you have found it ! - Mike
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For what its worth I only ever use the 24 file set speed zoned csv files on my Garmin units - strange option to have set "avoid U turns" but at least you have found it ! - Mike

Actually I find the 'avoid U-turns' setting very useful. It still tells you to do a u-turn occasionally, but only when it's way too far to go any other way. So, when I make a mistake and take a wrong turn, it usually never makes me do a u-turn and go back, it just finds another way to get there. This is how I like it.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have 'Avoid U-turns' set for the same reason. I can always choose to do a u-turn when I hear 'Recalculating' if I prefer and it's safe to do so.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: