Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom one v2 regional maps vs tom tom one v2 european maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom one v2 regional maps vs tom tom one v2 european maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: tom tom one v2 regional maps vs tom tom one v2 european maps Reply with quote

I am looking to update my old pda tom tom nav 5 to an all in one device like the new tom tom one v2. My question is why do tom tom use Navteq maps on the european version but Tele Atlas maps on the regional version, having looked at both, the navteq version seems alot more upto date on the mapping data and more accurate with the locations of the POI's. Do people who have these units find this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom first started using Navteq maps on the Rider, and although many people believed it indicated a switch away from TeleAtlas, it seems to be more likely that they were just "keeping their options open".

Also I bet it was helpful to put the wind up TeleAtlas to get a better price deal from them!

People with experience of both mapmakers usually say that there is not a great deal to choose between them in the UK. (Obviously, if one has your new cul-de-sac on and the other doesn't, that will make you think one is better than the other!).
You also have to factor in the question of how often TomTom buys in new versions from each supplier... it is often said that Navteq maps are MUCH better in Ireland, and that has certainly been true on TomToms so far, but both companies claim to have fairly comprehensive cover available.
patrac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been happy with the tele atlas maps but it just suprised me how much difference there was in the little details on the Navteq maps, like streets which were made one way over 3 yrs ago but still have not been updated on tom tom nav 6 maps which are supposed to be the latest edition of the tele atlas maps. Is this a tele atlas issue or a tom tom update issue.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't we love to know!

TomTom unfortunately don't seem to think we should be interested in things like that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: