Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x10 V6.10 Update TMC or Text '2' Speech
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x10 V6.10 Update TMC or Text '2' Speech
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: x10 V6.10 Update TMC or Text '2' Speech Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the V6.51 update removes the ability to use the text to speech on the 510 & 710's (Please do not start the rights and wrongs of this ...)

Firstly can anyone confirm if this is true or not, if it is true is it possible to revert back to an older version say V6.110 as long as I have a backup?

Secondly has anyone found a way to enable the text to speech using the V6.51 update?

Having returned from a 2000+ mile trip around Europe the text to speech was invaluable but I'm now faced with the decision TTS or TMC. I really wish TomTom would listen to its customers, I would be very happy to pay for the TTS option, its TomTom who are forcing me to use the not so legal version, and I would like TMC (if it exists ? ? ? ?)
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: TTS Reply with quote

I have upgraded my 910 to 6.51 nad Text to Speech, still works.

Hope that makes you happy!!

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam, how are TomTom forcing you to use something you shouldn't be? Absolutely unreal! If you don't want people to start on the rights and wrongs, don't do the wrongs.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: x10 V6.10 Update TMC or Text '2' Speech Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
but I'm now faced with the decision TTS or TMC.
There is only one way to legally get TMC and TTS on a TomTom product, and that is to purchase the correct hardware in the first place i.e. the Go-910 - Mike
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Mike.

It really annoys me how us 910 users pay just that little bit more for the added bonuses then a couple of months down the line the cheaper 510/710 users get the same options, albeit they are not getting the europe and usa mapping, but this is off the point.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What difference is there in adding tts files to adding, say, speed cameras?
As long as you own a 910 aswell of course.
I think TT should offer TTS as an option on all there machines, after all, not everyone wants maps of the US and an mp3 player/photo viewer etc.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is becoming a complete waste of time, yet another post about the rights & wrongs. Why don't you all email TomTom and complain to them about the lack of support, poor software testing, false promises and then start on the customers who are paying their wages.

If you read my original post I said I would gladly pay for TTS, but TomTom refuse to to offer this option , instead they decide to screw the customers. I do not want a SAT NAV that has a hard disk, I do not need and MP3 player, I do not need the maps of the US, I do not want the electonic books so why should I have to pay for them. I'm happy to pay for a 710 with TTS & TMC what is wrong with this ? ? ?

This is now making me more determined to make my 710 work with TTS & TMC regardless of what you lot thing and TomTom decide I can or cannot do.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
What difference is there in adding tts files to adding, say, speed cameras?
A small often over looked item called a license:

with the cameras you are granted a license.
with the maps you are granted a license.
With the purchase of the 910 you are granted a license for the Loquendo TTS data, this is not made available to the other units within the range.

It might only be a small bit of paper BUT it allows you to operate legally rather than using illegal software on a device it was not intended for.

If at some point TomTom decide to make TTS available legally for the other units it will cost money for the data and the all important license
Time will tell, but as I said earlier if you want TTS and the latest software on the unit you have to purchase the 910 - Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I know, as I said in my two previous emails I will pay for a license or piece of paper, whatever, but I cannot, TomTom want to screw us. I will not be forced into buying unneccesary hardware, when I know what I have works perfectly.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Mike,

I know, as I said in my two previous emails I will pay for a license or piece of paper, whatever, but I cannot, TomTom want to screw us. I will not be forced into buying unneccesary hardware, when I know what I have works perfectly.

I have a 510, I like the idea of TTS, If TomTom had included this feature on the 510/710 then not many people would buy the 910. If TomTom made TTS available as an upgrade I would buy it if the price was right. Also what you have to consider is the size of the data, TomTom would need to include bigger SD Cards etc.. Thats probably one of the many reasons the 910 has an hard drive. Yes you can squeeze/chop the size of the data down to fit on smaller SD cards etc.. Which would probably make the cost of manufacture more. So the price between the 510/710/910 would be too slim. I dont like the idea of the hard drive and dont drive abroad hence my choice of the 510. I would of bought a 910 simply for the TTS had it used an SD Card but understand TomTom's choice not to include this feature on the 510/710.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Mike,

Nobody is screwing anyone.

It's a fact of life that the more you pay the more you get. If you want a car with air con and electric windows you'll pay more than for one without.Want leather seats and parking sensors it's gonna cost even more.
A mobile phone with a camera will cost more than one which hasn't.And so on and so on and so on.

You have a choice and it's all yours to make choice, if you want TTS buy the model which has it.And if TTS isn't available on the model you've decided to buy then, I'm afraid, it's tough but nothing is perfect in life.
russellb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: TTS 710 Reply with quote

I agree that TTS should be available on the 710/510 BUT it does really need a 2gig card, which I now have in mine, you can just (just) fit it on a 1gig but leaves you no room for anything else.

I would be happy to pay for the larger card and TTS licence on the 710/510. TTS is just too important / nice a feature not to have ... it is also a safety thing.

TTS of the street you need to turn off means you are not always looking at the screen (as sometimes due to lag or a quick turn, a turn can jump up on you)

and to those that say go buy a 910: I don't want a hard drive, I don't want a juke box or the other features of the 910 JUST TTS.

If TomTom would just listen to it's customers needs people would happily be paying them more money.

Besides if they can add a HD and all the other stuff onto the 910 for the small price difference , just providing TTS would not cost that much more.

and to answer the original posters question ... yes I had TTS working on the 710 and I have reverted back to the previous back and older OS so I can keep TTS.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After becoming fedup with the "PocketGPS Police Force" I decided to log a formal request with TomTom, I've had some very interesting replies which I will post when I have finished my banter with support.

All I can suggest is that people who would like TTS, email TomTom, the more that request it the more likely they may change their mind.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I was expecting anything different, but here's TomTom attempt at trying to convince me that TTS on 510 & 710 is not possible. It just shows how little they know about their own products...

Dear TomTom Support..
Having used the 910 Text to Speech options, I would like to request or suggest that the Text to Speech functionality is offered as a chargeable upgrade to 510 & 710 customers.

I know that this works on the 510 & 710 but TomTom have dedcided to disable this functionallity with the latest update V6.51.

I would like to purchase both the TMC module & Text to Speech options as this is an invaluable combination. Unfortunately your company do not offer this option yet.

Dear Speedcam,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

1. The memory and processing power needed for text to speech could not be supported by the 510/710.

2, The TMC antenna will be avialble in the UK later in year , Its currently being phased in in various European countries.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Dear TomTom Support..
Thank you for your reply but unfortunately your are dealing with a customer who has many years experience with GPS hardware & software. Your reply is technically incorrect, all the GO x10 range have identical memory and processing power, the only difference being that the 910 has a hard disk instead of a SD card. The European maps & text to speech easily fit on a 2GB SD card, therefore on all devices can support Text to Speech, it does run happily I have seen it working! Its TomTom's decision to now disable this feature in the latest software update and for this reason I would like to suggest that many 510 & 710 customer may like the option of purchasing the Text to Speech as this DOES run happily on all units.

Dear Speedcam,
The 910 has a 20 Gig HD , The computer voice speech files themselves are over 4 Gigs ,
Large amounts of memory are required.

Regards

Dear TomTom Support..
As you correctly say, the Text to Speech files as shipped with the 910 require 4Gb of disk space, but this is for all languages. Only 350Mb is required for the English files, which will easily fit on a 2Gb SD.

Please do not think I'm trying to critisize; you have a great feature that I would like to pay for, as would many other customers. I know this configuration works perfectly, GO 510/710 + 2Gb SD card provides full text to speech.

I would like the option of purchasing a legal fully licensed version of the text to speech software.

Dear Speedcam,
Sorry but this is not possible.

With best regards,

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
I would like the option of purchasing a legal fully licensed version of the text to speech software.

Dear Speedcam,
Sorry but this is not possible.

With best regards,

There is only one option, go and purchase a 910 device like the rest of us that enjoy the luxury of the Text To Speech, this license issue has been spotted and stopped due to license infringement (I am refering to the use of TTS files on the "other products").

I fully understand why you want the TTS option on the lessor devices, but unless TT can come up with a license option as an upgrade then you can't use this function unless you have purchased the correct device, there is no upgrade available to legaly put the TTS files on to anything other than the 910.

Try the following - Mini or Ferrari- they both get you there but its the quality of service that costs the money - TTS is only for the 910, if you want it and you want the TMC then you need the 910

Probably not what you want to hear, but the cold reality is you pays for what you get - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: