Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - Ipaq 3630 and TT5 Running Slow !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - Ipaq 3630 and TT5 Running Slow !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnb1462
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Help - Ipaq 3630 and TT5 Running Slow ! Reply with quote

Help - I have an Ipaq 3630 running PPC2002 Version 3.0.11171 (build 11178) and TomTom5 coupled with a Globalsat BR-355 GPS Receiver.

Whilst the software installed okay and detects the receiver under either the TomTom cable GPS or Other NMEA GPS it runs about 3 or 4 seconds behind where I am on the road. For instance at a roundabout I have taken the exit I need and down the road, but the map shows me just joining the roundabout. Or when I set off I have normally reached 30mph before the map starts moving.

Is this a mismatch of hardware/software or is it time to upgrade to a newer PDA, or are there any tweeks that could improve performance as its not much good being told to turn right after you should have.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the map is runing slow have you tried a faster sd card and also are you running the lastest version of tt5

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
johnb1462
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its TomTom 5.21 which I believe is the latest, the card is a Sandisk 1.0Gb Ultra Compact Flash card. I did think that this card may be too big for the PDA, but when it loaded okay I didn't give it another thought. I will try a 256Mb card first.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important tweak is to hit the Hide all POIs button - that frees up a lot of memory. You can still use the warn when near facility in the manage POIs for your camera warnings.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
johnb1462
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now tried a smaller memory card, again Sandisk, and turned off all POIs, but it is still several seconds behind me on the road. This is most obvious on the motorway when you go under a bridge and then several seconds later TomTom shows you going under the bridge.

Any other suggestions, because I am coming to the conclusion that the PDA is not beefy enough to cope with the software / receiver combo.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnb1462 wrote:
I've now tried a smaller memory card, again Sandisk, and turned off all POIs, but it is still several seconds behind me on the road. This is most obvious on the motorway when you go under a bridge and then several seconds later TomTom shows you going under the bridge.

Any other suggestions, because I am coming to the conclusion that the PDA is not beefy enough to cope with the software / receiver combo.

I realise this was a while ago but I think your last post is more than likely correct.

I had an Ipaq 3870 and gave up with TT4 because it was just too slow. A clean fresh install did help a little (rather than an upgrade) but it just took to long to do anything.

I upgraded to a Ipaq hx2410 and the software just breezed along and would route Lands End to JOG in a few seconds (took several minutes with the 3870)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: