Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTOne.5.450. Is it worth upgrading?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTOne.5.450. Is it worth upgrading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: TTOne.5.450. Is it worth upgrading? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I've had my ttone (5.450) for a couple of weeks now, and with the help of this forum have successfully installed all the speed cams. I'm very pleased with the unit, but I have had to perform 3 hard resets when it failed to switch on. Searching these forums, I believe I can update to v 6.11(i think). I have tt home installed, and a 256mb card. My questions are:

1. Is this upgrade free.
2. Does it fix bugs like the one I have got.
3. Do you need to register/activate the upgrade after installation.
4. Does the new version just install on the card, or does it also update the unit internally. IE. If the update is not successful, can I simply install a back up to the card, and revert it back to its original(working) state, or will it make irriversable changes to the internals. IE. firmware/os.
5. Are there any real benefits to v6, or is it just a cosmetic makeover.

Any info would be appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Phil.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. yes
2. hopefully, but not guaranteed
3. no, since you are not changing maps
4. It will also update the bootloader, and may prevent you from going back to 5.450
5. A loaded question. I would say it's not worth the hassle, and usability has gotten worse. But I know a lot of users are disagreeing with me on this one.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its free.. its easy and its reversable.. and u dont have to do anything.. home will do it all for u..

6.150 is what u will get i think.. the easiest way to answer your own questions is to install and see..

the backup takes the longest.. the rest takes seconds..

trog
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks allot guys. Following your comments, I think I'll stick with 5.450 for the time being. Save for the occasional reset, which I can live with, I think the moto here is if it's not broke, don't take the risk trying to fix it! Overall I'm happy enough to live with the functionallity of 5.450 for the time being, but I will keep an eye out in these forums for other users experiences of upgrading to the latest build.
Best Wishes,
Phil.
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I have recently bought a TomTom One (original) and updated it to 6.150 and have had no problems with it apart from when I put a bigger SD card. Turns out it wasn't quick enough. Now fitted a 1GB x133 SD card and it's fine.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just trying to think of the differerences..

u get the the splash screen when it fires up.. u can alter this.. vaguely usefull.. i have a pic with my car reg on it now..

i think it no longer insists on a street name before a city.. better.. this used to be an irritation..

overall i think its an improvement and cant see any logical reason for not moving to it..

but it certainly isnt essential..

shame totmtom dont publish a "changes" list..

trog
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info Trog & green ninja. Just wanted a few opinions about what it did & was it stable. Seems that it doesn't really do any "must haves", but at least it would appear to be stable. Yeah, it should be nice if TT would publish a change logs - I mean, what have they got to hide?...,apart from publishing a cust. services line, and a proper email support addy to boot ! Hellooow TT - is there anybody there, do you really exist??
Not that I need their help, as I've always got the all the help I needed from you guys at pgps. No, I want to contact them so that I can them exactly what I think of their customer "support" !
Kind Regards (as always),
Phil.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ever wanted to navigate to location via its GPS coordinates, then version 6 is very useful.
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say I finally upgraded to 6.150 last night, without any problems at all. The additional features, and the improved menu layout are all worthwhile, and I would recommend it to anybody who's thinking about upgrading to this latest version. However, whether it fixes all the bugs of previous versions EG. Occasional Freezes & start up problems, only time will tell...Watch this space!
Cheers guys.
Phil.
tiggzz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other benifit is that the safety screen from TT3 is back Smile Now when you hit your designated speed, themap disappears with just the next move displayed. A lot less distracting.

The only downside is the new icon / menu positions ie. clear rooute is now 3 screens away. and nav to postcode is now inside address, not a seperate icon. But bonuses include nav to co-ords ( as previously mentioned)

So to go back to your question. I wold personally recommend the upgrade. I have benifited from it. Plus you could just make a back up, then restore if you don't like it.

Tiggzz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: