Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera showing as off road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera showing as off road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andiab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Camera showing as off road Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please tell me the reason why if i put the co-ordinates i have for a camera from my tomtom onto the google map it shows it as being in a field and when i correct them on the map the co-ordinates are totally different.

Sorry if this has been asked before but i wanted to submit a camera thats not showing on the latest database and as i want to keep what little hair i have i guess its better to ask.

A very big thanks in advance...... Thumbs Up

Andi
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at 30-M-5859.

The database says its location is N51.60496 W3.79773.
On Garmin, Google and AutoRoute maps that is 90 feet from any road!!!

If I am not 'navigating' on the M4 Eastwards [just using the unit for camera warnings], the database confuses the unit and warns me of a 30mph mobile!

How is this happening?
    The inaccuracies of the Unit reporting [this depends on the speed/satelite pickup/and position in the car.

The time taken to see and press the relevant buttons to record.

The method of submission to the database. Using the supplied Google map put in the location of N51.60496 W3.79773 from the unit. What happens? I see the relevant local map but no cross hairs to mark the position! Is the Google map the most suitable?

There is difference in the Mapping Software between Garmin, Google and AutoRoute.

The accuracy of the database management on receiving the 'submission is vital! How can they enter any camera location 90 feet from any road? OK, there are 10400 locations to check but if there is to be accuracy, then the workload needs to be shared!

In the light that this camera location has been discussed and reported before and there is little reason to 'verify' the change, but it still is 90 feet from any road!

My submissions over the last few months have not been acted on, so I am as confused as you!
andiab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]The accuracy of the database management on receiving the 'submission is vital! How can they enter any camera location 90 feet from any road? OK, there are 10400 locations to check but if there is to be accuracy, then the workload needs to be shared!

I agree with what you say 100%, if we are to get advanced warning of the camera locations, it would be nice if the accuracy was more precise from the database.
I for one and expect many others, would be willing to help share the workload and check the accuracy of all fixed locations(new and old) in our respective areas, and local surrounding areas if it would help the database team, that is a choice which would be theirs to decide on, but after saying that it still doesn't help if you've got an exact set of co-ordinates which you have recorded only to fond they don't match up with the map on the submissions page.
Well i've had my say again so i'd better get off the old soapbox or i may get the Stop! from the management.

Andi......
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the light of the discussion on the position of 30-M-5859 in this topic and previously some months ago, the camera has still not been updated [in the October database] and is still 94 feet from any road.

Do the database managers take note of our comments?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just moved 5859 to the centre of the A48 according to Google Maps.

We are currently working on a number of changes to try and improve the quality and accuracy of the database. One of the problems we often face is the accuracy of the core maps. If you take a reading from a SatNav unit it will often give you a location based on yor position on thier map. This is not always the actual GPS location.

Maps have errors and most satnav applications will "Snap" to the road. The problem we are presented with then is which reading to use. Even standing at a location with perfect conditions and a good hand held gps the reading can be 30 feet or more out. With 2 users one could be 30 feet out in one direction another 30 in the other direction a difference of 60 feet. Add into the equation mapping inaccuracies and you can see how these 'errors' can get compounded.

To ensure that we process them correctly the best thing to do is locate the Camera on the Google Map on the submission page and then reposition it to the correct place with a comment explaining the change. This will then be read and understood by the reviewer. A good comment is probably the most important thing as the reviewers can often have difficulty making sense of 10 conflicting submissions for the same camera. With thousands of submissions a week unless one stands out it could easilly be missed.
andiab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply MikeB Thumbs Up , you all deserve a Guinness for the work you all do, what i've done is capture the camera on my satnav and then repositioned it hopefully in the right place on the google map.

Modern technology eh!!! why cant they just make everything equal, that way we would'nt have these problems, but then as the old saying goes "You can't put a square peg into a round hole".

Great site and very helpful forums, keep up the good work.

Andi....
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have just moved 5859 to the centre of the A48 according to Google Maps.

Thank you.
I will see if the change is reflected in the warning given after the next database update.
Thank you.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone check if the Google map is working correctly please?
On entering the location of a new camera, the 'cross hair' seems to be missing and Google continues to say 'searching'!

This problem was reported and corrected some months before!
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
..............To ensure that we process them correctly the best thing to do is locate the Camera on the Google Map on the submission page and then reposition it to the correct place with a comment explaining the change...........

In the light of the ongoing problems with the Google Map, we are unable to do this!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=260390#260390

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: