Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigate to Latitude Longditude
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate to Latitude Longditude

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Navigate to Latitude Longditude Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have read the sticky about navigating to a Lat/Lon but it seems very complicated still, has anyone come up with an easy solution yet, or add on software to TT5 to achieve this.

The reason I ask is that I want to navigate to a tourist attraction (Museum) in France and the info they give is

N:5049.622
E:210.939

also how do the postcodes work in France or more to the point how do you enter them in TT?

The address is le Blockhaus d'Eperlecques, 62910 Eperlecques-France,

I tried entering 62910 as a postcode in TT but it doesn't come up with Eperleques, I know this placve is off the beaten track so I want to get there without getting lost!

I have found it on Frances equivalent to Google Earth or at least an aerial photo, its in the middle of a forest.

Any replies would be most welcome, Laughing

sdm197
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postcode option only works in UK and Netherlands.

For France just choose "address" and then put the number in. the problem is that these numbers in France cover a much larger area than in UK so will only get you to the general area.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The thread you mention includes reference to my OS GPS Convertor add-on which will work for lat & long positions worldwide. I agree it's a fiddle to set it up, but you only need to do that once and then it's quick and easy to use. You'll find it here if you missed it:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/index.htm
Or if you're planning on upgrading to TomTom 6 then they have reinstated entry of a position by lat and long in this version.
The position you quote looks like it's in degrees and minutes, i.e. 50 degrees 49.622 minutes and 2 degrees 10.939 minutes, which on my TomTom 5 Major Roads of Europe does indeed put it in the green space NW of Eperlecques.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly thank you both for your replies,

Barry, you say your software can be fiddly to set up, I will go to your link and check it out, you probably have a guide to setting it up there I assume, as I have not been to the website yet.

TT6 I may upgrade it depends whether TT are offering a discount for people to upgrade like they did from TT3 to TT5 if they are I will probably do it.

peterc10,
I see what you mean, yes the postcode area is very large!!

Thanks once again, and Barry I will check out the software,

SDM197
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sdm197
Even if you don’t manage to sort out the Lat and longitude you will still be ok. As long as you are somewhere near your museum you will see signs pointing to your destination. I have driven past the forest where your V2 rocket bunkers are located and you will see it sign posted.

And remember, if the RAF found it in the dark you should be able to find it in daylight.
Er! Sorry, I couldn't resist that last bit.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor1234,

I have to say your reply made me laugh out loud :D

You are right the RAF did find it in the dark, along with some Flying Fortresses and the "Tallboy" bombs,

Its just a pity that the leaflet I have has the consideration of the GPS user but only in Lat/Long means.

I think if I get to the general area it should be signposted, unlike it was in 1944 Laughing

Being as you said you have seen the signs it should be OK, thanks for giving me a laugh with your reply and your info too :D

SDM197
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other way is to use the nav to POI, create a POI file containing the place you want to visit, have a read of THIS for how to create the file - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: