Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm New - Best Receiver/Software For XDA Executive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm New - Best Receiver/Software For XDA Executive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratch1964
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: I'm New - Best Receiver/Software For XDA Executive Reply with quote

Firstly, I am delighted to be a part of such a tremendous community. The information available on here is truly fantastic....and to those responsible for this running of this site, you have done an excellent job.

I have in my possession an O2 XDA Executive with Windows Mobile 5.0 installed. I want to incorporate a full GPS Sat Nav system into the set up. However, as well as I know my way around the XDA, I know very little about the use of this machine as a Sat Nav system. I have read many topics on this site over the past few days and have noted one or two problems with the XDA Exec when adding Sat Nav gear.

What I wanted to know was a) what do I need to buy to get up and running, B) of all compatible hardware & software, which is the best available, and C) Can I buy any receiver I choose on its own and then add software as I go, or must I buy an a bundle (eg. TomTom receiver with TomTom software) and does this mean that once I start with TomTom for example, do I have to stay with it or can I buy other software too?

I use my XDA a lot. I am not afraid to play around with gadgets, computers etc, so would like something that is massively "Fully Featured." I understand that compatibility restricts the XDA a litle, but hear that TomTom 6 is fully PPC compatible. Ideally I want something that has excellent maps for all countries (esp. UK & USA) with the most POI possible. I would also like to use speed camera alerts too. I like to study highly detailed maps whether i'm on the go or not. Therefore, the more map/POI detail there is, the better for me.

With regards to receiver specification what should I look for? Are more channels better than less? I don't know where to begin.

I hear a lot of good things said about TomTom, but is it an ideal set up for an XDA Exec? I also heard that it is necessary to edit the Windows Mobile registry in the O2 XDa in order to install the TomTom software. Would love to hear experiences from those of you who have set up any system with an XDA Exec. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Scratch1964
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, The XDA Exec is a great device for sat nav let alone what else you can do with it.
For the GPS unit I would suggest you get a reciever that uses the SiRF-III chipset, the GPS MUST be a Bluetooth equipped device to work with the Exec, the TomTom unit you have identified is one such candiate, Global Sat, Holux, i-Blue are a few more manufacturers to consider, TomTom Navigator requires an NMEA data type output to work, but most modern devices are shipped with this set as the default output.
As for where to purchase, make sure its UK supplied, if there is a problem you have recource to UK based support and retailer/ consumer protection law.

To install TTN5,21 is not a problem as this version will work with the Exec and load without problems, the earlier versions are probably the ones you describe requiring reg edits etc. Load the latest and it will work straight away.
You can use other nav software with the same GPS unit if you so wish. With the current talk of the impending TTN version 6 release and the associated newer (more upto date maps) you might be wise to sit out a few weeks, as TTN6 is not legally available for sale as yet. Maps are costly irrespective of the supplier, if you need wide areas and USA shop around to try and get the best deal.

Other considerations, you will need a car charger lead or you will flatten the Exec quickly using TomTom, also get a decent quality mount for the unit, sitting a £350 (ish) phone on the dash is not the smartest thing to do! - Mike
Scratch1964
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I'm very pleased to meet you. Thank you for such an insightful reply to my queries. I feel half way there already, having read your post.

Indeed, I would certainly invest in a decet mount and car charger for the PDA. The unit takes long enough to charge in itself without the added drain of a GPS receiver.

Certainly I will look out for an SiRF-III chip based receiver. I assume these are the equivalent of a top ATi or Nvidia Geforce GPU chipset in the field. I don't mind paying out a little more for an up to date receiver as opposed to saving money on a dated, less functional model.

I am pleased to note that I will be able to pick and choose software once I have bought a GPS receiver. Perhaps I can try out one or two as friends have both Navman and TomTom software.

What I really want to avoid is being restricted right from the outset by either hardware or software due to skimping or buying something that is outdated.

Many thanks for your time and advice.

Scratch1964

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: