Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Alternative Ariel for T1 Traffic Module and icN530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Ariel for T1 Traffic Module and icN530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_Jones_499
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Alternative Ariel for T1 Traffic Module and icN530 Reply with quote

Having just upgraded from an iCN510 to an iCN530, I am very pleased with the new unit. The 530 is quicker connecting to the satellites and re-routing, it has a better user interface and smoother map movement as you travel. I would recommend the 530 to all.

The frustration/problem I have is with the T1 Traffic Module. Travelling on the M5 from Birmingham to Bristol in a Toyota Previa, I only started to receive traffic downloads about 6 miles north of Bristol. The car did not have a heated windscreen. This was a shame as I got caught in a jam on the way down. Another problem is that the installation of the T1's antenna is a semi-permanent fit, ie. you permanently stick the various fixing pads to the car's windscreen. This is unworkable is you regularly use hire cars for business commuting and wish to use the T1 in these cars. Moreover, the sight of these permanent pads is a security risk as they must encouraged thieves to break in and look for the rest of the sat nav system.

Does anyone know of:

* a suitable separate antenna specifically suited to picking up Classic FM which can be fixed internally to the windscreen using suction cups and, thus, enable the easy and simple transfer from vehicle to vehicle? Ideally, the antenna should fit the T1's antenna socket or use a readily available adapter.

* Is there a better quality 'interior antenna' than the one supplied with the T1 to improve the T1's signal reception?

I would be very grateful for any assistance otherwise I am going to have to return my T1 as it's reception performance to date has been poor/unacceptable.

Many thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Welcome to the forum perhaps you should have a read of THIS it details the adaptors and aerial required to improve reception, a number of users have found this of benefit, OK its a mag mount so its not internal to the car, but at least you can move it to other vehicles when required - Mike
Brian_Jones_499
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Thanks for your very prompt reply. I did see the thread, but I am looking (perhaps naively?) for a high performance internally mounted antenna.

Regards

Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one - or anyone else for that matter please let me know!, I cannot find anything suitable for a dashboard or windscreen mount, bear in mind the frequency that Classic FM is using 99,5MHz to 102,5MHz so any normal FM band aerial should suffice, finding one that can clip in the car has proven somewhat problematic to date - Mike
Brian_Jones_499
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope someone, some where, may know of a suitable internal FM antenna. In the meantime, does any one know of a source for 'sucker style' mounts for the existing inferior T1 antenna and its cable?

Thanks

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: