Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of buying Nuvi 310d or StreetPilot C510D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of buying Nuvi 310d or StreetPilot C510D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Thinking of buying Nuvi 310d or StreetPilot C510D Reply with quote

Im thinking of buying one of the above as a replacement to TT5 on a PDA. This is due to mapping of NI been crap on the TT and wont get any better on TT6 it appears as well as TT6 not been compatible with my PocketPC.

While playing with the Nuvi in Halfords I found the refresh of the 3d map view while "testing the route" to be very slow. On TT it is very smooth and refreshes very well. IS the refresh better while actually using the unit?

Also, I quite often use the "Avoid part of route" on TT5.... say I know at a certain time of day a particular road will be congested, I will put an avoid in so the unit finds another route. I only see a "detour" button on the Nuvi which you would use if you see congestion ahead. Having read other posts though, this will only do a detour for a little while then put you back on the road quite quickly. Am I missing something?

Also, is there any other units that have the avoid part of route option?

Steve
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomo

The refresh rate on the demo is pretty much what you get during real life navigation. It can be a bit "clunky" at times but I didn't really find this a problem as I wasn't watching the screen for the obvious safety reasons. The spoken directions and navigation banner at the top of the screen were more than clear.

As for the detour function, it's recognised that this is not as good as tomtom's. You don't get a map showing the detour or any statistics (extra time / length). The nuvi just recalculates and off you go. I am sure Garmin could improve this feature with a firmware update.

I had a Nuvi 310D, its a great unit, design and size wise it cannot be beaten (IMO) and the interface is so easy to use. I admit I am difficult to please however and returned it because of intermittent problems with the GTM12 and what I saw as unreliable routing. If these issues are resolved I will be buying another one.

Hope this helps - Nick
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have just bought a TT One V2 from Halfords. It does all I want it to do and has very up to date maps of NI even though they are teleatlas maps. I was going to close this thread but can see a way to do it but thanks for your help there.

Steve
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Saw your post in the tomtom thread. I will keep an eye on that one to see how you get on. I am going throught the same thought process as you at the moment! I think one of the moderators should be able to close the thread.

Cheers - Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: