Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4700 & Recovery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4700 & Recovery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: 4700 & Recovery Reply with quote

I was going to tag this onto the "TomTom Hanging on 4700" thread as I run a 4700 (which does get hot with TomTom but hasn't locked yet) and getting TomTom running on it almost made me give up the will to live.

And it's the last part of the last sentence that is what this is all about. I live in constant fear of a major screw-up or repair that will force me to re-live the previous horrors.

So I'm looking to image/backup my 4700 on a regular basis. Sprite Backup seems to be a popular option but does this backup enough? At work I image the PC's I manage in case of crash & re-install so should I be looking at Sprite Clone - or something similar - to achieve the same?

What's the advice & opinion of the board

Clive
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 4700 & Recovery Reply with quote

sharps4065 wrote:

So I'm looking to image/backup my 4700 on a regular basis. Sprite Backup seems to be a popular option but does this backup enough? At work I image the PC's I manage in case of crash & re-install so should I be looking at Sprite Clone - or something similar - to achieve the same?

What's the advice & opinion of the board

Clive

Since losing data perhaps 8 or 9 years ago (which caused me a lot of effort to replace-understatement) I take backup up more seriously than the average. Everything I need to is backed up across three drives and optical media. Some stuff goes further and is archived permanently, so I see your angle.

I tested Sprite which will suit your needs but settled for Backup Manager which is half the cost and both are virtually identical in features and GUI.
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=3070

I take the occasional manual backup, but mainly leave it to the automatic scheduled backup which takes place daily in the early hours. There is an option for each backup to be saved or overwritten next time.

The backup file contains the entire device from the OS up, and is a self extracting compressed file targeted to the storage card. Worse case scenario, perform a hard reset (to purge the system) and tap on the backup icon. This will restore the entire device in 15 mins or so.
Similar to Ghost if you are familiar.

...and don’t forget to backup the backup files to PC.

Laughing
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 4700 and have extensively used the pre-installed Sprite Backup software and have always found it works perfectly.

It restores everything I've ever wanted it to.

I've even used the backup, cold booted the PDA then went straight into the restore process and it brought everything back. All you need to do is change the time zone and reset the clock. You then have an identical setup as before.

Doddle Wink
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sharps4065
I agree with everything that Mullet has said. I use Sprite Premier Backup (I didn’t know about Backup Manager before I purchased Sprite) and it works admirably.

I could sit here now if I wished and do a Hard Reset ( The worst case Scenario for a PDA) yet have it all up and running again in just a few minutes. Every thing will be restored, Bluetooth settings, programmes, the lot.
Yep, everyone should have a Backup programme.

By the way, this is my 200th Posts. Allot of it may have been drivel but some I hope has been helpful to someone out there. I think I will pour myself a drink.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Trevor Cheers!

Mullet, can I just add that Sharps doesn't need to buy any additional software because Sprite Backup is part of the original install and works perfectly well.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two issues to worry about:
- Software bugs messing up your files;
- Battery loss eliminating RAM.

With WM2003 the Winduhs Registry is stupidly stored in RAM, so all customization and installed programs are lost upon battery loss. WM5 ostensibly stores all this in flash now, so is non-volatile.

So maybe WM5 is advisable, but still back up to protect from software bugs.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz
I keep forgetting about that. Embarassed

Quantum
Never had any issues with s/w bugs in that way. If the backup is prior and clean this wouldnt matter when restored.
The registry values are written to storage and in turn back to whatever the origin was at the time of backup, so RAM isnt an issue.

Both counts are what backup software is all about Laughing
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of using Sprite on WM5 have lost the ability to backup the files to PC. We now need to save them to the Storage card and then back them up later on...
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sprite backup (v5.1) and it backs up everything to the PC fine. You can choose to only backup to a storage card if you wish but I just schedule a daily backup to the PC - it can't be much simpler.

Reteb
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point:

Sprite backup (which I use too) can backup the Ipaq file store and can create self restoring executables - but you must turn them on.

You may need to restore the file store if something overwrote it (rare but possible)

You should have self extracting executables so that you don't need to install Sprite first !!!!

Alan
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
You can choose to only backup to a storage card if you wish but I just schedule a daily backup to the PC - it can't be much simpler.

Reteb

Cant see the simplicity in that. Connecting to PC and trying to meet the schedule deadline. You must also keep a copy on your storage card. A backup is useless on your PC if your device fails away from home.
Backup to storage wherever you are in the world, then tether to the PC later for safe keeping.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
I use Sprite backup (v5.1) and it backs up everything to the PC fine. You can choose to only backup to a storage card if you wish but I just schedule a daily backup to the PC - it can't be much simpler.

Reteb

Please note that I mention the Windows Mobile 5 Sprite backup, not the WM2003SE version.

Regards
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
Please note that I mention the Windows Mobile 5 Sprite backup, not the WM2003SE version

I obviously wasn't clear in my original reply. Sprite v5.1 for WM5 allows you to back up directly to your PC (or to a storage card on your PPC).
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:
Please note that I mention the Windows Mobile 5 Sprite backup, not the WM2003SE version

I obviously wasn't clear in my original reply. Sprite v5.1 for WM5 allows you to back up directly to your PC (or to a storage card on your PPC).

Is this WM5.1 running on the PC or PPC?
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
Is this WM5.1 running on the PC or PPC?

The way I use Sprite 5.1 is to let the PC Agent (part of Sprite 5.1, but running on the host PC) initiate the backup on the first connection of the day with the PPC. The PPC actually runs the backup process.

However, since you asked, I've also had a look at the manual and have proven that you can run the backup from the PPC using the 'Networking' option and this lets you run the whole backup process from the PPC and back it up to the PC directly.

Therefore, Sprite allows you to backup to a storage card on the PPC or directly to a PC. The choice is yours.

Reteb

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: