Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed choosing GPS software and Bluetooth Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed choosing GPS software and Bluetooth Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilglick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Help needed choosing GPS software and Bluetooth Receiver Reply with quote

Yes I know, this is the question most asked by us newbies but ...

I have a new iMate JasJar/O2 XDA Exec and I'm considering either DestinAtor 6 or CoPilot 6 for my primary software plus I'm willing to pay a premium for a bluetooth GPS Receiver that does a great job of pullling in satellites, taking readings through car roofs, or provides locations with more precision (however I have no need of a differential GPS).

I care about ease-of-use, intuitive screen navigation, and it would be nice if the software could take advantage of my PDA's VGA screen and WM5.

My intended uses for the PDA/GPS device are (in order):

1) walking in cities (mostly OS but maybe Australia)
2) travelling streets and cyclepaths on my push-bike (mostly in Australia but sometimes OS)
3) driving in cars (mostly OS but perhaps also in unfamiliar Australian places); and
4) bushwalking (topographic, mostly in Australia but maybe OS). I realise this application requires different software to requirements 1-3.

Can you help me choose between DestinAtor 6 and CoPilot 6? More people seem to prefer DestinAtor but this alone isn't sufficient reason to go this way. Is it useful to also have a related product that runs on PC where I can more easily plan routes which I would then download to my Pocket PC/PDA?

What would be a few Bluetooth GPS Receivers to consider?

Comments please.

Neil in Sydney, Australia
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer SiRF III based receivers are all providing very satisfactory GPS reception, so you can focus on other aspects.

Your HTC Universal has a mini USB connector. If you want to reduce the amount of cables that you need to carry I would recommend a GPS receiver with the same connector.

I also like the receivers that use the ubiquitous Nokia Li-Ion batteries.

Examples are the APOS626 or the Wintec Data Logger.

Software-wise you could also include Navman and TomTom into the selection. But none of them have sufficient PC planning tools, if you need that then CoPilot is indeed the better choice.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: