Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Names - Don't appear to be correct?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Names - Don't appear to be correct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Road Names - Don't appear to be correct? Reply with quote

Can anyone help?

I have just done a trip from Wiltshire to Surrey via A361/A360/A303/M3 and smaller roads.

I'm confused about what road names TT is telling me it thinks it's on!

Can anyone confirm the following.

At the bottom of the navigation screen (where all the info is) it tells you a road name - my assumption is that this should read the road that you are ACTUALLY on.
At the top of the of the screen, it tells you another road name, again, my assumption was that this is the NEXT road you will be travelling on.

Am I correct?

If so, I have a serious issue.

When I was on the A361, that was correct at the bottom, with A360 at the top. When I crossed a roundabout near the A350, the name at the bottom changed to Bell Hill, which in fact was the next road I had to take in 3 miles. When I got to Bell Hill, that changed back to A361 at the bottom. When I was travelling along the A360 across Salisbury plain, that was correct with the A303 showing as my next road.
Although whilst crossing Salisbury Plain, I did lose my signal a few times, and when had a signal, the GPS did not follow the road on several occasions coming off track!!
This next bit was a real worry......When I got on the A303, the name at the bottom changed to M3, and the name at the top stayed as M3, and when I got on the M3, it said M25 at the bottom and top!!

To me, this is not right... anyone else ever noticed these issues?

Cheers

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Names - Don't appear to be correct? Reply with quote

gadget_sa wrote:
Can anyone help?

I have just done a trip from Wiltshire to Surrey via A361/A360/A303/M3 and smaller roads.

I'm confused about what road names TT is telling me it thinks it's on!

Can anyone confirm the following.

At the bottom of the navigation screen (where all the info is) it tells you a road name - my assumption is that this should read the road that you are ACTUALLY on.
At the top of the of the screen, it tells you another road name, again, my assumption was that this is the NEXT road you will be travelling on.

Am I correct?

If so, I have a serious issue.

When I was on the A361, that was correct at the bottom, with A360 at the top. When I crossed a roundabout near the A350, the name at the bottom changed to Bell Hill, which in fact was the next road I had to take in 3 miles. When I got to Bell Hill, that changed back to A361 at the bottom. When I was travelling along the A360 across Salisbury plain, that was correct with the A303 showing as my next road.
Although whilst crossing Salisbury Plain, I did lose my signal a few times, and when had a signal, the GPS did not follow the road on several occasions coming off track!!
This next bit was a real worry......When I got on the A303, the name at the bottom changed to M3, and the name at the top stayed as M3, and when I got on the M3, it said M25 at the bottom and top!!

To me, this is not right... anyone else ever noticed these issues?

Cheers

Yes, this is how its meant to be, though most people think its crappy and non-intuitive.
If you are not on a route, the name at the bottom is the road name you are on. Logical and straightforward.

If you are on a route, the name at the bottom is the next road you will be on, and i think the name at the top is the next major road you will be on (rather than just the next road).

To take your example you said
"When I got on the A303, the name at the bottom changed to M3, and the name at the top stayed as M3, and when I got on the M3, it said M25 at the bottom and top!!"

Whilst you were on the A303, next road is M3, so thats at the bottom,and next major road is M3, so thas at the top. etc.

Illogical and some might say idiotic, but I couldnt possibly comment :-)

Tw
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Names - Don't appear to be correct? Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Yes, this is how its meant to be, though most people think its crappy and non-intuitive.
If you are not on a route, the name at the bottom is the road name you are on. Logical and straightforward.

If you are on a route, the name at the bottom is the next road you will be on, and i think the name at the top is the next major road you will be on (rather than just the next road).

To take your example you said
"When I got on the A303, the name at the bottom changed to M3, and the name at the top stayed as M3, and when I got on the M3, it said M25 at the bottom and top!!"

Whilst you were on the A303, next road is M3, so thats at the bottom,and next major road is M3, so thas at the top. etc.

Illogical and some might say idiotic, but I couldnt possibly comment :-)

Tw

Tx Tumbleweed... a very clear answer!!
I read this before I set off home, and it now makes complete sense... it was doing exactly as you described in your answer!!

Idiotic? Illogical? I guess there are fors and againsts for this.
But I ca see the point of it, and it works well (now i understand it).. giving a heads up before you get to the next road/turning!

Thanks again.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I did with my Go was switch off (in the preferences menu somewhere) the "next major road" indication at the top, as it seemed daft to be mainly duplicating the information that is at the bottom when I have a route planned.
Never missed it since.
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
One of the first things I did with my Go was switch off (in the preferences menu somewhere) the "next major road" indication at the top, as it seemed daft to be mainly duplicating the information that is at the bottom when I have a route planned.
Never missed it since.

Tx Andy,
Would I have that option on my 700?
Don't suppose you know where in the menu it is?

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it comes under Change Preferences | Page 5 | Name Preferences | Show next Motorway.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that rings a bell..... (or is that a boing, a moo or other stupid noise!?)

I'll disable that when I get home... mucho appreciated!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: