Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 910 and airplanes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 910 and airplanes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: GO 910 and airplanes Reply with quote

With the movie player available, the idea of using it on an airplane sounds very nice. Is there a way to turn off the GPS receiver while using the system as a player (don't want to make the plane crash......... Rolling Eyes )
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a receiver.. it won't make the plane crash (in fact even a mobile phone - which is a transmitter - is extremely unlikely to affect the systems on an aeroplanes.. it's just a safety rule).

OTOH with the current security rules the chances of you being able to carry it on board are quite low.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be only a receiver but the use of GPS receivers is specifically dissallowed on an ever increasing number of airlines. As its not possible to switch the GPS Receiver off and given the current security situation I'd strongly advise against even trying to take one on-board let alone operate it.
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it onboard wouldn't be a problem IF the receiver can be turned off (then it would be no different than an IPod. You can even use cell phones that can go into airplane mode). Through programming I wonder if this can be achieved (some sort of script or command to deactivate the receiver).
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH If you told them you had a modified device they'd probably take it off you and pull it apart.

We live in paranoid times.. don't even risk it.
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF.......the unit had an airplane mode then it wouldn't be much of a problem (no different than a laptop, they might make me turn it on). Now I'd like to know if this is possible through programming.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revo1059 wrote:
IF.......the unit had an airplane mode then it wouldn't be much of a problem (no different than a laptop, they might make me turn it on). Now I'd like to know if this is possible through programming.

Again that's not so anymore. BA specifically request that all devices with flight safe modes are switched OFF for the duration of the flight now.
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fly internationally (though I'd like to fly BA they are a nice airline). In the US it's not as much of an issue (13 years working for the airlines)
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Again that's not so anymore. BA specifically request that all devices with flight safe modes are switched OFF for the duration of the flight now.

Must be a BA thing - last time a flew they said to switch off devices for the takeoff/landing but weren't bothered about the actual flight.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone issue on planes is one of passenger comfort. The airlines simply do not want 500 mobiles kicking off on a jumbo jet annoying the hell out of everybody. Imagine the incidents of air rage that would cause.
Then of course there is the issue of the airlines own mobile systems for passenger use at exorbitant prices. Laughing
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones can give some unusual reading on some of the insturments. Also, one of the concerns was that making a call from 35,000 would really mess up the ground based systems. On the older systems, you could stand at the top of the Sears Tower and through some maintenance modes on the phone you could really paly havoc with the system (because of the much increased range of being up so high). Don't know if that's still the case with GSM these days.

But back to my original question, I really just want to know if through programming, can the GPS receiver be turned off?
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They allow laptops on planes and they all have wifi (and the suits that pay for the business tickets (a) wouldn't know how to switch it off, and (b) would just give their money to another airline if asked to do so).

It's all about money. Joe sixpack on his bargain holiday flight doesn't give enough profit to dictate terms.

As far as switching off the GPS goes.. I don't think you can switch off a passive device like that without ripping it off the circuit board. Not that they could detect it anyway...

OTOH as I said you'd never get it on the plane. It'd be confiscated before you were allowed to board.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
revo1059 wrote:

Not true, I flew with BA yesterday and the announcement came on that 'if your phone has a flight safe mode, switch it to that now'.

Tw
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GO 910 and airplanes Reply with quote

revo1059 wrote:
Is there a way to turn off the GPS receiver while using the system as a player (don't want to make the plane crash......... Rolling Eyes )

Don't worry about it mate, the GPS is not a transmitter so it won't cause any harm. I use my GPS on planes all the time and it's never crashed one yet. Wink
revo1059
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email to Makayama this morning for the suggestion of looking into this and here is the response I received.

Dear Customer,

That feature is already present. In the Options Menu , uncheck 'Pause movie while driving', that will turn the gps off

best regards,

Vincent | Makayama
www.makayama.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: