Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom settings to work with Haicom MMF GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom settings to work with Haicom MMF GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom settings to work with Haicom MMF GPS? Reply with quote

Hi All,

First off just wanted to say how impressed I am with this forum - there seem to be more GPS geniuses...geniuii?...per thread than anywhere else!

I've just purchased a new Haicom 303 MMF CF GPS receiver, and am having trouble getting it to work with my existing copy of Tom Tom Navigator v 2.24 on my iPAQ 2210. I've also updated TT using the v2.08 upgrade as per your suggestion from another post.

I've installed the CF card and used the included GPS Info program to see the settings. When I click "Scan Com Port" I end up with COM1: Serial and Baud Rate of 4800. I also see the GPS data in the info window, the red light on the CF card is flashing, and on the GPS INFO tab I can see I have a link with 5 satellites - so...the card is obviously working.

My problem comes when I try to get Tom Tom to use the receiver. I go into the GPS Status option - what should I be using in the drop down menus? I've tried "Haicom GPS" and "NMEA 0183v2 4800" in the top menu, with "Serial Cable on COM1" in the bottom one - should this be working? I also have a "CF_CARD GENERIC" option, but if I select this I can't tick the tick box.

Also - stupid question but what does the slider do with what looks like "ZZZ" as one option, and the Tom Tom hands logo as the other?

Any bright ideas? Idea

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I'm amazed though you're using COM1 and actually using data, because the 2210's CF port is COM7. You should be selecting this for GPS use. I have never seen the COM port vary on a 2210 before.

An easy way to check the COM port would be to download WinFast Navigator from the Leadtek Tools section of our downloads page, install this, run WinFast Navigator, then insert the Haicom 303MMF and this will then popup a box and tell you which COM port it's using.

Do you have any other hardware installed on the 2210 ? That's the only thing I can think of which would change the COM port, unless you have something else sitting on COM7 forcing it to use COM1.

Basically COM1 is the Serial Port connector at the bottom of the iPAQ, hence why I'm a little amazed you're able to use COM1.
ChrisFGB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the Leadtek utility as you suggested, and you're right - COM 7 it is - don't know why the previous GPS Info utility was indicating COM 1. WinFast gives me a fix with 6 satellites, and I'm getting a Lat / Long figure OK.

My problem now is that I still can't get TomTom to use this data. Should I have installed TTN after installing the GPS card, or shouldn't it matter? In the GPS Status screen of TTN, do you know which model settings I should be using here? Either "Haicom GPS" or "NMEA 0183v2 4800" would seem the obvious choice. I also can't see a COM7 option in the second menu, but there is an option for "CF_CARD GENERIC". However when I select either of the Haicom or NMEA options with the CF_CARD option - I can't tick the box.

Just seems that the data is there, but TTN can't use it!

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing TomTom before or after won't make any difference. The best driver to use for the 303MMF is NMEA 0183v2 4800 and CF_CARD GENERIC.

Try to soft reset before running TomTom, you may have WinFast Navigator still running and an open COM port and that's grabbing COM7.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure we sorted this out definitively (as this was a live issue immediately before I had to take an enforced break from the forums for reasons to do with my chronic health problems), but so far as I remember, we had concluded that the "Haicom GPS" setting in TomTom's GPS application is actually for SiRF GPSes in NMEA mode at 4800bps. The reason for this conclusion is that it reconfigures the NMEA strings output by a SiRF based Haicom like my HI-303MMF.

Accordingly, "Haicom GPS" is a good choice for SiRF based Haicoms, but shouldn't be used for the Evermore based Haicoms (anything where the part number ends in an E). There's no Evermore specific setting in TomTom GPS - use "NMEA 0183v2 4800" for those.

These days, I tend to leave my HI-303MMF in SiRF mode at 38400bps and use the SiRF 38400 option in TomTom GPS. It helps to keep a copy of Winfast Navigator to hand if you do this, though - if the battery in the GPS goes flat, it will default back to NMEA at 4800bps.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: