Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pulling my hair out with GPRS!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling my hair out with GPRS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Pulling my hair out with GPRS!! Reply with quote

Is there a clever person out there that can sort this out others must have the same problem..My TomTom go 910 connects to my Nokia 6230i via bluetooth with no probs at all (works and connects every time) BUT when i tap on the "traffic icon" on the Go it tells me that i need an internet connection and i must subscribe to "GPRS First" (ON the Nokia Phone) the point is - that i can connect to the internet on my phone without any probs so why does the Go keep asking me to do this. Any advice would be apreciated.

TomTom 940 Live
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which phone suppiler are you on and are you on contract

most of the mobiole suppliers only allow wap gprs on pay as you go to use tomtom traffic you need full gprs

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
which phone suppiler are you on and are you on contract

most of the mobiole suppliers only allow wap gprs on pay as you go to use tomtom traffic you need full gprs

Thanks for reply ...I'm on "Vodaphone" pay as you go.

TomTom 940 Live
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be the problem as you need full gprs to connect to the tomtom server it maybe worth contacting vodaphone to see if this is available i know orange do offer full gprs for pay as you go customers

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange PAYG SIM cards will do GPRS, but you'll need to ring up Orange and ask them to set the SIM to use GPRS.

If you need an Orange PAYG SIM card and don't want to pay for it then try this link. If it's still valid (it was when I wrote this post) you can get a free Orange PAYG SIM card.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulling my hair out with GPRS!! Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Is there a clever person out there that can sort this out others must have the same problem..My TomTom go 910 connects to my Nokia 6230i via bluetooth with no probs at all (works and connects every time) BUT when i tap on the "traffic icon" on the Go it tells me that i need an internet connection and i must subscribe to "GPRS First" (ON the Nokia Phone) the point is - that i can connect to the internet on my phone without any probs so why does the Go keep asking me to do this. Any advice would be apreciated.

I have the same phone as you on a T-Mobile PAYG sim , it works fine on all TomTom GPRS services.
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with O2 pay as you go, has anyone got Traffic to work with O2 pay as you go? My phone is a Nokia 6230i(the one with the battery that can't last more than one day).
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry72,

The last time that I tried an O2 PAYG SIM card I found that it wouldn't do GPRS. You should try an Orange PAYG SIM card, which will do GPRS, but you'll need to ring up Orange and ask them to set the SIM to use GPRS.

If you need an Orange PAYG SIM card and don't want to pay for it then try this link. If it's still valid (it was when I wrote this post) you can get a free Orange PAYG SIM card.

NB the link in this post is a new one.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry72 wrote:
I'm having the same problem with O2 pay as you go, has anyone got Traffic to work with O2 pay as you go? My phone is a Nokia 6230i(the one with the battery that can't last more than one day).

How come the battery is only lasting a day? Are you using it a lot or leaving bluetooth on?

Even with moderate use my 6230i is lasting 3 days
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my second 6230i and both will struggle to be usable after 24 hours away from a charger, it used in a car kit during the week so it's only an issue at weekends. I just use it as a phone nothing special but I know i'm not the only one complaining about the battery.
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry72 wrote:
This is my second 6230i and both will struggle to be usable after 24 hours away from a charger, it used in a car kit during the week so it's only an issue at weekends. I just use it as a phone nothing special but I know i'm not the only one complaining about the battery.

I think that using it in a car kit is where your problems lie. The symptoms you describe seem to indicate that your battery(ies) are suffering from the memory effect.

Cheers,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern rechargeables don't suffer the same problems as used to afflict the NICAD cells a few years ago (and still do these days for those that use them), LI-PO, LI-Ion, NI-MH etc can be charged when empty or part depleted without suffering "memory" problems - Mike
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikealder . . . LI-PO, LI-Ion, NI-MH etc can be charged when empty or part depleted without suffering "memory" problems. [/quote]

Or so the suppliers claim - but I have had this problem with lithium ion batteries, and a number of my colleagues have too. With this type of battery it seems to take longer for the 'syndrome' to become mainifest but the end result seems to be the same.
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine and everyone I know who has a 6320i has the same problem and the problem has been there since day one, have also seen it well documented in other forums. Compared to my 6100 battery life is very poor but horrific compared to the 6310i, I just put it down to colour screen and other features.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: