Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - upgrading to 710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrading to 710

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: upgrading to 710 Reply with quote

I am thinking of upgrading my Classic to a 710 and would like to ask a few questions, so hopefully someone can me help out.

1. What is the current map version? And is there a new map coming out very soon?

2. Because it has a faster processor, is route calculation/re-routing faster?

3. Is the speaker quality as good as the Classic?

4. Because it has a High sensitivity SiRF Star 3 GPS chipset, does it mean it locks on to satellites quicker? And what is the maximum it locks to?

5. Would you recommend having an external antenna, even though i haven't got a heat relective windscreen? (i've got an external antenna for Classic and reception is definately better than without). I don't really want to buy an antenna if reception is good enough! (They are expensive too!!)

6. How does TomTom's Speed camera database compare to PocketGPS's database?

7. A 1gb SD card is supplied with all the data. How much free space is left on the card?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thank you.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: upgrading to 710 Reply with quote

duckie008 wrote:

1. What is the current map version? And is there a new map coming out very soon?

Current version is 650 IIRC. Expect maps to be on average two years out of date.
duckie008 wrote:

2. Because it has a faster processor, is route calculation/re-routing faster?

No. The extra performance is eaten up by 3D graphical gimmicks. The 710 is actually slower (since it uses the newer "improved" software)
duckie008 wrote:

3. Is the speaker quality as good as the Classic?

No. The Classic speaker is a class of its own. Acoustically it is close to perfect design (and it is also more than twice as big as the new speaker). To add insult to injury, the speaker on the 710 is pointed downwards, and much of the sound is lost in the reflection off the dashboard (the classic speaker was reflecting off the windscreen)
duckie008 wrote:

4. Because it has a High sensitivity SiRF Star 3 GPS chipset, does it mean it locks on to satellites quicker? And what is the maximum it locks to?

Yes. Maximum is the same (12) but that is not a relevant parameter. The 710 generally has a much better ability to maintain a fix.
duckie008 wrote:

5. Would you recommend having an external antenna, even though i haven't got a heat relective windscreen? (i've got an external antenna for Classic and reception is definately better than without). I don't really want to buy an antenna if reception is good enough! (They are expensive too!!)

No, absolutely not required.
duckie008 wrote:

6. How does TomTom's Speed camera database compare to PocketGPS's database?

Ha funny. You don't really expect us to comment on that do you? (of course ours is way better)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

So there is no real benefit by upgrading to x10 models. Not unless you want mp3's, pictures, ipod, etc which are not important to me. I suppose the only plus points are the 4" widescreen and the latest SiRF 3 chipset.

I don't quite understand why re-routing/calculation isn't better with the faster processor. You said that "The extra performance is eaten up by 3D graphical gimmicks". But the Classic runs on the latest v6.15 too. So does this mean that it has slowed the Classic down too?

So am I better off buying a 500 or 700 (more likely to be the 500)?
***I'll keep the excellent sound quality, faster processor than the Classic, hopefully a more up to date map than my current one (v571), Bluetooth and TomTom Plus services. All of which can be found in the 710.

So my next questions are:

1. Is the external antenna for the Classic compatible with the 500/700

2. Is the chipset in the 500/700 a SiRF 2 or 3

3. Is the processor in the 500 the same as the x10 models

4. Given whats more important to me are the points in *** above, should i go for the 500/700 or the newer 510/710?

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your help.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the 710, If your currently running firmware v6.15 0n your Classic it probably would slow it down has it eats away at the processor. The only thing I can think of that is different on the x10 series is the map data which could be slowing the route caculation down. The 710 in my opinion out performs the old go serie's by along way. It picks up the satelites alot faster too and maintains reception better. The speaker is still very clear although it is pointing down. You do have the option of linking the TomTom to your car stereo via an AUX lead which is usefull. I have found that the maps are alot more upto date than the previous. Their have been several new roads built near me with in the last 2 years and their all on the new map database. To find out more about the feature's have a look on the TomTom Website http://www.tomtom.com/products/index.php?Lid=1
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention

1. The Classic External antenna is not compatable with the 500/700

2. The chipset in the 500/700 is SiRF 2

3. The processor in the 500 is the same or simalar processor as the x10 serie's (400MHz)

4. If you just want your country of purchase and major roads of Europe go for the 510 if you want seamless maps of Europe go for the 710.

Also the 500/700 have 32MB RAM and the x10 Serie's have 64MB RAM
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know what the current version map is for the 510? (GB and Major Roads Of Europe) And is there a new map on the way?
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map version for 510 is v650 they are the latest maps. These are the maps that people with Go Classics/300/500/700 are waiting for, So their aren't any expected map update's for the x10 serie's not until next year anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: