Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - planning to buy PDA, need some help with some GPS software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

planning to buy PDA, need some help with some GPS software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geforce3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: planning to buy PDA, need some help with some GPS software Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase the dell x5 (GPS) with tom tom navigator 2, firstly is this a good PDA, secondly will the PDA work with my existing wireless network which is made up by a D-Link 604+ router? from what i understand i will need to buy the TrueMobile 802.11b Wireless LAN Compact Flash Card, in order to use the wireless network card.

With the tom tom navigator 2 does it let you download new updated maps when roads change etc? I know you can download latest drivers etc but Im more worried about updated maps etc.

Also is there a free way by using exisiting tom tom navigator 2 to set it to find speed cameras?

If tomtom2 cannot be updated (map wise) is there any other software which can be updated over internet or free CD-Roms?

Regards

geforce3
geforce3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will someone please help me !
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geforce3,

Welcome to the forum. Welcome
As you’re eager for some advice I’ll try to answer what I can ,about what I know. :D

Firstly, I don’t know anything about Dell PDAs. If you look at my signature you will see that I use an iPAQ 3970 which I find is a great little PDA. I bought it solely for navigation as at one point it appeared to be the definitive PDA for the job. Personally if I wanted my PDA to be used with a home Wi-Fi network then I would consider one with built-in capabilities. The iPAQ 5550 seems a good one although I think they have a problem with sound as the speaker is in the wrong place. The current definitive non Wi-Fi PDA appears to be the iPAQ H2210.

TTNav2 does not let you download whole maps. Whether they (TomTom) will in the future – well who knows? Confused What you can do now, is download small holiday destination areas – see their website for further information. You’ll have to wait for a major version update (possibly TTNav 3) for new maps but you’ll very likely to have to pay for the privilege. Personally I don’t have too much trouble with TTNav2 it tends to know most roads. You just have to use a bit of common sense and ignore it at times (but that’s only very occasionally).

Yes, you can “find” speed cameras if you want to. I hope not for any illegal purposes! Wink Download the latest version of the PocketGPS camera POI and you will see a good number of them in TTNav2. If you want advanced warning of them, then use Checkpoint software which is freeware and is also available from this website.

HTH, regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
r6man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geforce

Check my post in the Retailers to Buy From/Avoid forum for my recent experience with Dell. I wouldnt recommend the current X5+PPC2003 with TomTom2.
geforce3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

thx for your reply

"What you can do now, is download small holiday destination areas – see their website for further information."

can you please explain in a bit more detail about the above and give me a link to TTnv2 website where it talks about this since i cannot seem to find this anywhere?

thanks for warning me about Dell, but please can u recommend another company apart from HP?

Also is the O2 Xda II, any good?

thx

look forward for hearing from you peeps!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geforce3,

The TomTom link is:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/content.php?ID=215&Section=1294&Language=1

You are charged a "nominal" fee for the data. It doesn't allow you to download large maps, just popular holiday destinations. If you need larger maps then you'd be better off with buying the European maps.

I understand that not everybody wants to buy HP/Compaq, but do you have any particular reasons for wishing to avoid them?

I'm sure that most PDAs that are currently available will be capable of running TTNav2, but they need to be able to accept SD and/or CF storage cards and they also need to be able to connect with a GPS unit, either by Bluetooth, and/or by cable.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
geforce3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will my pc need a bluetooth card if the reciever and pda use bluetooth
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geforce3,

I can only tell you what I know about my own set-up. The iPAQ came with a cradle, which is a unit that allows both data transfer between the PDA and the PC, and charging of the PDA (from the mains). The PC is connected to the cradle via a USB cable. It is unnecessary to have a Bluetooth enabled PC. I guess that this is a normal arrangement for most types of PDAs.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: