Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Tom Tom best suited to first time user
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tom Tom best suited to first time user
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyclone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Which Tom Tom best suited to first time user Reply with quote

Hi all,

My parents have asked me advice on which Sat Nav system to buy. They have not had one before, and have seen my Mio 168 with Tom Tom 5 running.

Could anyone suggest which Tom Tom unit is best suited ? having had a quick look through them, I don't see much wrong with the Tom Tom ONE. Seems pretty good for the price. Any reason to pay more for anything better ?
They basically just need a simple to use device, option of additional maps, and can be moved between cars.

Any help much appreciated.

Oh, and they live in france (will buy in UK) so i assume the France map can be easily obtained. Also, will this fit on the supplied SD card with the UK map ? If a larger SD card is required, will it be easy to transfer all Tom Tom software to the new card ?

Thanks,

Rich.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a particular reason for specifying TomTom? It is certainly not how I would approach a purchase.

Also, is there a requirement for a dedicated unit such as TomTom One, rather than a PPC solution.

One reason I chose the MIO168, was that being a PPC, I would not be tied into any one company, but I still wanted the convenience of an all-in-one solution (ie no separate GPS receiver to misplace, of have the battery go flat)

Firstly, I would consider where the unit is to be used (not just by Country, but, that is a good starting point) and whether Navteq, or TeleAtlas maps would be the most suitable.

While not getting into discussions over which is the best application (and TomTom is up there with the better ones) - if the maps don't cover (or cover comprehensively) where you are going to use it, and are not reasonably up-to-date - then any system using those maps may be of little use.

Hopefully, once you know where the product is likely to be used, you may find people with experience of the same locations. Unfortunately, while I have experience with both Teleatlas and Navteq mapping in certain areas of the UK, that is not really of any relevance to driving in the other parts of the UK, let alone France.

Currently, I prefer Navteq mapping, but feel that TeleAtlas is definately closing the gap, so much so, that I don't think it will be long before the map supplier is of little consequence to me.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyclone,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

If your parents like your TomTom Navigator, then any of the TomTom PNDs (Personal Navigation Devices) will do, i.e. the TomTom ONE (£280), 510 (£349), 710 (£399), or 910 (£499), prices are the RRP from the TomTom website. For online prices have a look at:

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/

You say that your parents live in France. Do they drive in any other country apart from France and presumably the UK?

If they do, then the TomTom 710 or 910 might be the answer. If not then you can buy addition maps for other countries, but you might find that the full MoWE (Maps of Western Europe) set is a similar price to just one extra single country.

If you do decide to buy the ONE or the 510, then you will need a larger SD card. Go for an SD card that is at least 1GB and then copy every file from the original SD card onto the new one. Keep the original SD card as a backup!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the GO 510 would be the best option for parents. I thought about getting my father one as well. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 910 has, but that just means the parents won't get confused as easily. Either one would be great, I just think the simpler the better.
cyclone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those comments.

As to why I say Tom Tom, it's just that i have used SmartST before, and 1 other app (can't remember the name) and both seemed very poor compared to Tom Tom. Navigating the menus and the speed of the software (running on a mio 168 as is Tom Tom) was very slow.

Tom Tom seems very easy for the less technical to get to grips with.
I think a PPC would just confuse things too much (but as I said, i use a Mio 168 and like the all in one functions of it)

As for locations, mainly France, then all of UK and i would expect other European countries would be useful.

Now, the GO 510 was mentioned. Would i be right in saying the main differences between that and the ONE would be larger screen, longer battery life, and the Go 510 maps cover street level in country and major roads in Western Europe, but the ONE only covers country of purchase ?

The Go 710 would cover all Western Europe, but apart from that the same as the GO 510 ?

So you pay extra for the 710 over the 510 for the additional maps ?
and the ONE would save you in the short run, but cost probably as much once you buy the extra maps, and has the smaller screen, slightly slower CPU and shorter battery life.

Please correct me if i'm missing something here....

I'll now check exactly what countries are required, which should point us in the right direction of which model......
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyclone,

As you’re already using TomTom, albeit on a Mio 168, the UI will be very similar to that of a TomTom PND (or all-in-one as TomTom themselves call it) therefore should your parents ever have a question you can help them even over the phone.

For the differences between the ONE and the 510, 710, and 910 models, have a look at the TomTom website here.

cyclone wrote:
Now, the GO 510 was mentioned. Would i be right in saying the main differences between that and the ONE would be larger screen, longer battery life, and the Go 510 maps cover street level in country and major roads in Western Europe, but the ONE only covers country of purchase ?

The 510 has a larger screen and better battery life than the ONE. The ONE covers just one country whereas the 510 covers one country with the MRoE (Major Roads of Europe).

cyclone wrote:
The Go 710 would cover all Western Europe, but apart from that the same as the GO 510 ?

Yes the 710 has full roads of all Western European countries (although no TomTom PND currently has Eire, Isle on Mann, Channel Islands). To confuse things slightly, the TomTom RIDER uses Navteq map data instead of the normal TomTom supplier which is Tele Atlas, so the RIDER does have a few different areas.

cyclone wrote:
So you pay extra for the 710 over the 510 for the additional maps ?
and the ONE would save you in the short run, but cost probably as much once you buy the extra maps, and has the smaller screen, slightly slower CPU and shorter battery life.

Yes, although I wouldn’t worry too much about the battery life as you should always power it in the vehicle via the cigar lighter plug. The CPU isn’t too much of an issue either. The x10 range needs a bigger CPU for the ability to be a hands free Bluetooth calling unit for the phone.

cyclone wrote:
I'll now check exactly what countries are required, which should point us in the right direction of which model......

Yes once you know which countries your parents definitely want then you should have a better idea which TomTom PND to buy.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
cyclone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Privateer for your reply.

Just one thing i wanted to confirm, what Buetooth support does the Tom Tom ONE have ? it states it supports bluetooth, but i'm sure i have seen different websites detailing what it can support, and not always the same. Is it the same as the 510 ?

Rich.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cyclone,

The ONE’s Bluetooth usage is limited to pairing with a compatible mobile phone for use of one or more of the TomTom Plus services. Some of the TomTom Plus services are free, whilst some are a subscription cost extra such as TomTom Traffic, which uses GPRS.

The x10 range of GOs can do the same as the ONE, plus they also have the ability to be used as a hands free kit for a compatible mobile phone.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
cyclone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi cyclone,

The ONE’s Bluetooth usage is limited to pairing with a compatible mobile phone for use of one or more of the TomTom Plus services. Some of the TomTom Plus services are free, whilst some are a subscription cost extra such as TomTom Traffic, which uses GPRS.

The x10 range of GOs can do the same as the ONE, plus they also have the ability to be used as a hands free kit for a compatible mobile phone.

Regards,

Thank you, clears that one up Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition the x10 units can be used with the TMC receiver when it is launched, then you can obtain traffic information without the added cost of the subscription and GPRS charges. No idea when this will be available but it will only work with the x10 series of units - Mike
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONE is much cheaper than that. I got one a couple of months back in PC World for £229, and I have recently seen it for £239 and £249 in high street stores. Unless there are compelling reasons for another device, it is a very good deal. As for a PPC solution - tried that and after a year dumped TTN 5 for the ONE. The ONE is far faster than a PPC with the same processor as it does not have to run a version of Mobile Windoze. It is also less buggy, and for non techie types like my partner, the always on nature of the ONE is far easier ot deal with than the turn on - find TT, start the app, etc of the PPC solution. Also the PPC alway had problems like needing to be roobeted now and again becasue Windoze is rubbish at memory management. I have not reset my ONE since the day I got it.
cyclone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info from the last 2 posters.

I would fully agree about the PPC use, it wouldn't suite them at all, and it does often crash needing a reset (although never so far while running Tom Tom at least).

The ONE unit itself is probably good enough, I just have the problem of the cost of additional maps. I think by the time you have added those on you may as well be looking at the 710, but i'll need to check all prices properly.

Rich.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best price for the One a couple of weeks ago was £188, delivered!!
Details from the YourNav forum

Quote:
Through Dixons and then a couple of vouchers to get it down to £188

Details here.. but I don't expect it will last long

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/1704/tom-tom-one-188-delivered
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a few weeks ago, but Woolworth's in North Cheam are selling the ONE for £229 this afternoon.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyclone wrote:
I just have the problem of the cost of additional maps

You can download maps direct from Tom Tom. I got the France Plus map for about £40. It has street level mapping of France together with major roads of Europe. All you need then is a bigger SD card. A 1GB card is not much these days and the GB map and France Plus together only take up about half the card. Plenty of room for POI's, voices or whatever.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: