Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed camera data tomtom rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed camera data tomtom rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myvalkyrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: speed camera data tomtom rider Reply with quote

i have just downloaded the speed camera file, unzipped it , copied and pasted it into great britan folder, and its now sitting there with all the other POI's, hotels, post office ...........
but when i go to manage POI's from main menue there is no mention of any speed cameras, let alone weather they be gatso's or mobil's
can anybody throw somew light on it for me ??? by the way its a tom tom rider unit
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using V5.xxx of TT there is a limit of 39 Custom Added POI's. Have you exceeded this?

V6.14, the latest Version, allows 100 Custom Added POI's.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
myvalkyrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
If you are using V5.xxx of TT there is a limit of 39 Custom Added POI's. Have you exceeded this?

V6.14, the latest Version, allows 100 Custom Added POI's.;)

thank you for your reply

Confused yes i have the latest v6, downloaded it last night before downloading speed camera data, do you have any further suggestions ??
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to enable POIs in your TomTom select them in your POI categories:

Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI
Select POI
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a file naming problem... Missing .ov2 extension?
Have you successfully downloaded any POI files from elsewhere or are the others you mention just the built in ones?
myvalkyrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Could be a file naming problem... Missing .ov2 extension?
Have you successfully downloaded any POI files from elsewhere or are the others you mention just the built in ones?
Rolling Eyes

thankyou both for your replys
OK here is the idiot version ( meaning Me )
when i connect the rider unit to the pc it comes up as tomtom go, so i click on that, and that opens up a load of files and folders, i click on great britain, and that gives me lots more files anf folders, including pocket speed camera files, as well as tomtoms own speed camera files, along with files the likes of ... maps... asda.. m6 toll...parking.... but none with the name of POI, but i guess all the others are POI's
i have enabled the POI's in the main menue, but as said before, there is NO mention of speed cameras or the type of camers (mobile or fixed) within that menue.
do you think I should have just a POI file somwhere ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only 1 POI File and that is TomTom's own POI.dat, which holds the built-in POI's.

For all TT's the POI Files have an OV2 Extension, and an associated BMP File.

While your TT is connected to the PC, have a count of how many OV2 Files you have in the Map Folder.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see the three letter/number extension (the bit after the dot) for every file?
If not, enable the view by Opening Windows Explorer or My Computer, go to the Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab and UN_tick the "Hide extensions for known file types" entry.
Then have a look in your map folder again.

All the added POI files should be called "somethingorother.ov2".
I've heard that sometimes the PGPSW files "lose" their extension somewhere in the un-zipping and copying process. They should be called "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc. (and each one should have a matching icon file with the same name except a .bmp extension.

Again, can you see your other poi files like Asda?
myvalkyrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again guys,...this is what the file says if i hold the pointer over it....
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2 this is the only bit i copied and pasted from what was down loaded
the other bits were licence, release, and a picture icon, should i have copied adnd pasted these other bitsin as well?
tried the rider today on the road and it does not tell me of any cameras as i passed them !!
if any one can give me a call one evenig mabe we can talk thru it all , my number is 01948 770403, ill get it all plugged in and call you back if you have the time.

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Can you see the three letter/number extension (the bit after the dot) for every file?
If not, enable the view by Opening Windows Explorer or My Computer, go to the Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab and UN_tick the "Hide extensions for known file types" entry.
Then have a look in your map folder again.

All the added POI files should be called "somethingorother.ov2".
I've heard that sometimes the PGPSW files "lose" their extension somewhere in the un-zipping and copying process. They should be called "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc. (and each one should have a matching icon file with the same name except a .bmp extension.

Again, can you see your other poi files like Asda?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post again...
Quote:
They should be called "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc. (and each one should have a matching icon file with the same name except a .bmp extension.

You need all the .bmp files too. They are the icon pictures that show up on screen. However this doesn't seem to be the whole story, because if they are missing you should still get a plain red box on screen instead.

Lets start from scratch...

1 ) You appear to have downloaded the single, all cameras in one file version. This is fine, and is the easiest one to get started with, but be aware it will not tell you what type of camera it is or what the speed limit is. But lets stick with that one for now.

2 ) When you downloaded it, you should have got a zip archive. you extracted the contents and you should have got:
_Need_Help.htm
Licence.txt
pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2
release.txt

3 ) You should then have copied just the "pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2" and the "pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp" files into the already-existing map folder called "Great_Britain-Map" on your sd card.

If you have done all that, exactly as written you SHOULD be able to see them on screen.

4 ) Go to "Browse Map" and tap "Options" at the bottom. You can turn on the display of 'Points Of Interest' on the map view by ticking its check box.
Which POIs are displayed depends on the categories you have chosen to show. You can make this choice now, by selecting the 'POI' button at the bottom. (this is an alternative way of selecting them but has the same effect as doing it in 'Manage POI' in Preferences.

Can you see them on the map now?

5 ) If so, you can now go through the "Warn when near POI" setup in Preferences / Manage POI.

6 ) Otherwise, you could try another POI file from elsewhere. Try one from http://www.tomtomfree.com/singlePOIfile.htm

Check through that lot and report back.
myvalkyrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thank youso much for your time and trouble, i did just what you said to do and things seem to all be working, going to try it on the road tomorrow to check it out !!
one more question please do i want the "warn only if poi is on route " ticked or unticked ? i have it unticked at the present time

Andy_P2002 wrote:
See my post again...
Quote:
They should be called "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc. (and each one should have a matching icon file with the same name except a .bmp extension.

You need all the .bmp files too. They are the icon pictures that show up on screen. However this doesn't seem to be the whole story, because if they are missing you should still get a plain red box on screen instead.

Lets start from scratch...

1 ) You appear to have downloaded the single, all cameras in one file version. This is fine, and is the easiest one to get started with, but be aware it will not tell you what type of camera it is or what the speed limit is. But lets stick with that one for now.

2 ) When you downloaded it, you should have got a zip archive. you extracted the contents and you should have got:
_Need_Help.htm
Licence.txt
pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp
pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2
release.txt

3 ) You should then have copied just the "pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2" and the "pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp" files into the already-existing map folder called "Great_Britain-Map" on your sd card.

If you have done all that, exactly as written you SHOULD be able to see them on screen.

4 ) Go to "Browse Map" and tap "Options" at the bottom. You can turn on the display of 'Points Of Interest' on the map view by ticking its check box.
Which POIs are displayed depends on the categories you have chosen to show. You can make this choice now, by selecting the 'POI' button at the bottom. (this is an alternative way of selecting them but has the same effect as doing it in 'Manage POI' in Preferences.

Can you see them on the map now?

5 ) If so, you can now go through the "Warn when near POI" setup in Preferences / Manage POI.

6 ) Otherwise, you could try another POI file from elsewhere. Try one from http://www.tomtomfree.com/singlePOIfile.htm

Check through that lot and report back.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvalkyrie wrote:

one more question please do i want the "warn only if poi is on route " ticked or unticked ? i have it unticked at the present time

Its up to you... Smile

With it UN-ticked:- you will get alerts from ANYWHERE within the distance you chose when you set it up, so cameras on other roads nearby will trigger an alert.

With it Ticked:- you will only get alerts that are on (or very near) your calculated route. Sounds much more sensible, but the daft thing is that if you are driving around with the TomTom switched on but with no actual route set, you won't get any alerts at all!

A couple more things...

Don't forget you can set up a trial route past a camera or two using "advance planning A-B" and then run an animated "demo" of the route to check the alerts are working, without actually going for a drive.

Assuming it's all working now, you might want to delete the files you've installed and start again with the speed-zoned set, because with the all-in-one version you chose you
a ) won't know what type of camera or its speed limit, and
b ) will get a lot of alerts that are actually for POSSIBLE mobile camera van sites.

It takes a bit of setting up the first time (but you know you can do it now!) because there's 24 pair of files and icons in the set.
But once you've set it up once, the following months you just paste the new ov2 files over the top of the old ones, everything else stays the same.

Good luck!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: