Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software that doesn't support Bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software that doesn't support Bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Software that doesn't support Bluetooth Reply with quote

Hi.

First of all a thank you to the owner(s) of this site (Dave, is it?). It's an invaluable resource, with fresh reviews and news and has been really helpful for me...a GPS newbie.

Secondly, an apology to those who have read my tiresome newbie posts. I promise they will diminish with time - my socket GPS should arrive tomorrow, so the dull posts will be replaced (hopefully) with posts that use the right terminology and make sense(!)

Right, I've come across several software packages tonight which claim to interact with GPS devices via the serial port. I think JGui's "Followme" was one of them. Will this be a problem with my Bluetooth device? Will I have to map a virtual serial port to the BT or something, or will it simply not work?

Cheers

Will
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will, no problem, this is what the site is for!

You should be able to use any application with a Bluetooth GPS, most Pocket PC's use the Bluetooth Receive port as COM8, so providing the application can support up to COM8, then it will talk to the BT GPS via the Bluetooth Manager on the Pocket PC which listens on COM8, and acts as the intermediary between the two.
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is always an exception. In this case it's Microsoft Pocket Streets which doesn't support the range of COM Ports necessary for BT Crying or Very sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, I haven't tried Pocket Streets 2004, it's supposed to be much better (AutoRoute that is), with GPS support but don't have it here to test though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed Pocket Streets 2004 and am glad to confirm that Microsoft have resolved the issue in this release. You can now select (at least on my 2210) Com Ports 1,2,3,5,6,& 8 which finally allows me to configure a BT GPS.
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. I wonder if Pocket Streets covers Sydney and/or other Australian cities...

Will
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a version of AutoRoute available that covers Australia then it's a no I am sorry to say. Microsoft have maps of certain cities available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/business/pocket/mapdownload/psmapsearch.aspx but Sydney and indeed any other Australian City is not on the list.

However have you looked at OziExplorer? They even have a pre-calibrated Sydney map available to use with the registered version. See our review at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/oziexplorerce.php
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm going to have to buy Oziexplorer for my trip. I'm still annoyed and confused about the availability of maps for Aus. Without a scanner and/or an internet-connection, finding maps to calibrate is going to prove nigh-on-impossible. So - and thoughts on this would be very welcome! - I'm going to find as many as I can online beforehand, for each of the areas I'll be going, and then work out how you calibrate them. Obviously I'll need to find free non-copyright-restricted ones which is going to prove even harder.

Sorry, gone off-topic

Will
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd begin by downloading all the free city maps Ozi have, they also have links to commercial maps that are Ozi compatible. It may also be worth asking around on the OziExplorer Yahoo Groups as to sources of other reliable public domain maps as someone may already have jumped this fence :D
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice, thanks. Most of all I'll be really interested to see how the BT device performs when it's stuck in my camera-bag. I'm *hoping* the bag won't be too restrictive on its ability to get a fix - have read a few of your reporting success with yours in the glovebox of cars, so hopefully should be fine.

Will
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Bluetooth GPS do you have ? If it's an Emtac/Socket then you shouldn't have much problems as it will pull the signal in better when tucked away, some of the other Bluetooth GPS's may not bring in the signal quite as good though.
Will
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it arrived today. Tiny! I bought my brother one of those Navman sleeves for his Ipaq when he emigrated last year - getting a fix was nearly impossible where we live, with all the trees. But just now the Socket managed 5 Satellites underneath a pine tree (but the sky's still visible - just about) so it's pretty impressive.

On the hunt for software now

Will

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: