Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom version and map of uk ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom version and map of uk ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cudo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: tomtom version and map of uk ?? Reply with quote

hi, can you tell me what is the latest version of Tom Tom navigator for pocket pc and what is the latest and best map of uk. ?

cheers, cudo
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather there is a v605 Great_Britain-Map, and a v632 Great_Britain_Plus-Map, and v609 maps for all countries of Western Europe (On a 6 CD set) - I believe that the GB component of each version number may be identical.

Quite confusing!

I do not know if these have been superceded yet.

There are two types of Map; standard an Plus. The Plus map is the same as the standard version, but with the addition of the major roads of (Western) Europe.

As to which maps you should buy, there are two option, individual maps, or the complete maps of Europe. Depending on the offers available, the cut off point where it is cheaper to buy the package rather than individual maps will vary.

If you were buying only one map and will never leave the UK, there is little point in having the Plus map. If there is a possibility, you can either buy a plus map now (remember it will only cover the main roads) or wait until you travel and buy a map for the country you plan to visit.

If you are going to have multiple maps - I would not recomend the GB plus map - it takes up more room on your SD card (I don't know the impact on performance), but if you are travelling straight to a single country overland, ie Italy, I would recomend that you use the Plus map for Italy. Using a single map, you will be able to navigate from your home in the UK right to your destination, and then have detailed maps of where you are staying. Obviously, your home position may not be on the map, but a nearby road will be, and I would assume that you will be able to navigate yourself to the nearest main road.
cudo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, can u recomand me the best software to use in UK...cos i havent bought anything yet??? i wanna purchase navigation software that gonna be good in uk i heave heard that tomtom isnt that good anyway , any ideas of what shell i get ?

cheers, cudo
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know where you heard that or why it was said.

Tom Tom is the most popular and it is easy to use.

Some people complain about the maps being out of date but I have never found that a problem. If I find a new bit of road, or a change to the road I just head in the general direction and TT soons re-routes to get me back on track.

Have spent some time lately visiting parts of the country I have never been to before on business and TT has never let me down in finding my hotel or other destination.

And it has be the far most POIs for it and they are easy to install.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: