Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi just joined and ordered a TT910 and...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi just joined and ordered a TT910 and...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Hi just joined and ordered a TT910 and... Reply with quote

Was wondering what is the list of things I need to do when I get it?

So far I have on my list to:

Download camera stuff from here.
use one of the fixes to sort out the mount
download the usa poi's that are available for when I visit USA in 2 months.

anything else that is a must do or just worth doing?

cheers

Stu
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also meant to say, feel I got a pretty good deal! if anyone is interested I got it for 374.50 from dixons

used the NHS192 discount code to get 5% off the £435 online retail price and bought it on my Egg money card to get 10% instant cash back.
ebony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have also used the promotional code 309704TT to get another £20 off.

That would have taken it down to £357.35

I paid £365 using similar codes; but at the end of the day I think we both got a good deal !
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well missed that one! still got it much cheaper than many people have paid! so im happy.

Also seems a reasonable price when you consider im using for UK USA Canada and spain.

Even buying a one and the relevant maps and cards worked out a lot!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first MUST DO that you have missed off your list is TO BACK THE DEVICE UP TO THE PC BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE - deliberate shouting, but you really must do this, it takes a while but you have no other way of recovering the device if something goes wrong later, I would also sugest the back-up file is then burnt to DVD as independent storage (belts and braces, but worth it - IMHO).

Then for the speed camera set-up have a read through THIS it will give you an idea as to what is required, also have a read of THIS pay attention to the setting up double warnings on the 910, its worth the extra effort.

As for the mount I would see what happens, I have had my unit since day two of there launch in the UK and my standard mount is still working fine, you might find the same thing, I am certainly not going to take apart a servicable component that requires no alteration.

One other line item for your list is to read the manual and make sure you know where the reset switch is, please don't use the hole on the front facia as this is a microphone - it might sound stupid, I nearly did this and I know a few others that have done the same thing! The reset switch is underneath the device near to the interface connection - find it before you need to use it though.

Load up a few mp3 files and enjoy the unit in the car (port the audio from the 910 to the car deck so the sound comes out of the speakers, its much better) - if you don't have the unit yet spend some time collating the mp3 collection you want on the unit.

Finally enjoy the device, at that price quite a bargain - Mike
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike really useful info.

Whats the output connection for mp3 playing to get to stereo?

I currently have a standard audio jack coming from my stereo to plug my mp3 player into can I use that?

also is it true there is a 15 min limit on audio files? that will be a shame because i listen to podcasts that are more like 2 hours!

your right about the mount I guess its a case of wait and see.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit is supplied with a lead to connect to the car deck, its a standard 3,5MM stereo plug to plug, although I found it not long enough so I got a differerent (longer) lead from Maplins.

I am not too sure about the audio length time limit, its not something I have encountered and some of the tracks I have loaded are over this duration I think (mentle note to check in the morning - new order re-mix being loaded as its 42 mins, so I will know by lunchtime). Also the Audio Books are over four hours in some cases and it plays these no problem (when it finds them, although it doesn't appear to loose them quite as often as it used to. - Mike
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike remembered where I saw the 15 minut thing!

on this site i the "inside the TomTom GO 910" article it says

"Watching movies on the GO 910
You probably have heard about the Makayama Media Studio for the GO series. Apart from the re-encoder that runs on the Windows desktop this software relies on a special version of mplayer for Linux on the GO. For whatever reason the TomTom version of mplayer is crippled and does not play music or videos that are longer than 15 minutes. The Makayama version does not have that limitation.

The Media studio is currently serving the older GOs (with the 4:3 screen aspect ratio) but an updated version for the x10 range should be out soon. "
ebony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike, I did think I was going mad when I didn't hear a warning for a second speed camera of the same speed.

Much Appreciated.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stustaff wrote:
Thanks mike remembered where I saw the 15 minut thing!

on this site i the "inside the TomTom GO 910" article it says

"Watching movies on the GO 910
You probably have heard about the Makayama Media Studio for the GO series. Apart from the re-encoder that runs on the Windows desktop this software relies on a special version of mplayer for Linux on the GO. For whatever reason the TomTom version of mplayer is crippled and does not play music or videos that are longer than 15 minutes. The Makayama version does not have that limitation.

The Media studio is currently serving the older GOs (with the 4:3 screen aspect ratio) but an updated version for the x10 range should be out soon. "

Thats mainly for movies, dont know if the tomtom mp3 player is based on mplayer but i have had no problems with audio length.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebony wrote:
Thanks mike, I did think I was going mad when I didn't hear a warning for a second speed camera of the same speed.

Much Appreciated.
This is a known problem, with a basic work around that re-triggers the unit to play the correct warning prompt, it takes a while to set up but is well worth the effort in the long run, remember there is a limit to the number of custom POI's you can have loaded and set-up (its around 100 on this device, but I have not checked the exact figure) so a full doubled up speed zoned configuration will consume nearly half of this total in terms of POI warnings - not a problem for myself as I only use the warnings for the "Cash Machines" - Mike
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hi just joined and ordered a TT910 and... Reply with quote

stustaff wrote:
Was wondering what is the list of things I need to do when I get it?

anything else that is a must do or just worth doing?

cheers

Stu

A pin to reset it
Some kind of support to stop the screen drooping
A good road map
Your reciept for when you return it - you will need it.

HTH!
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have had some issues then pitstop!?

is this a common problem with them then?
how reliable is the actual unit itself?
What are the actual isssues with it?
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than what I said, the issues I had were common to what I have read elsewhere by other users - I may have been put off if I had read those first. When the TT910 was working, I thought it was brilliant.

I posted this in another link: Garmin Vs Tom Tom:

As a newbie to sat nav and not sure of what features I wanted I purchased my first one a couple of weeks ago, a TT910 because it had everything. That lasted a couple of days before I got a replacement - usual probs, poor mounting and screen freezing. The replacement had a much better mount but still had the freezing problem. I had downloaded and installed the supposed 'fix' software too. Fed up with having to include a safety pin in my TT travel bag (The wife labelled it my 'manbag') to reset it on a regular basis I demanded, and got, a full refund from PC world. There was another TT910 customer complaining of screen freeze at the same time!

I then went for a Garmin Nuvi 360 mainly because it had most of the features of the TT910 that I wanted. A much better piece of kit. A lot smaller and lighter and more portable than the TT910. The aquisition of satellites was better too - it even picks up indoors and you can even leave it in the car door pocket and just listen to it. The speed cam locater is good - it tells you when you are approaching one and the give out a constant 'bing' only when you are exceeding the stated camera speed limit.

Overall, I would definately rate the Garmin 360 above the TT910 but the TT has a louder speaker (mainly due to its sheer size I suppose) and a 'nicer' looking screen, again maybe because of its size.

Whatever you get, you do need them to work first and foremost but the TT 910 just didn't for me.

Only a personal opinion you understand - if you get a good 'un and are not bothered by the size, you'll be well pleased with it!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one pitstop, we all seem to be coating off our units from time to time, in my opinion a lot of it is totally justified, but in your case it is good to see someone take the time to quantify there dissapointment for the benefit of a newbie.
Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: