Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It,s gone again ...... Traffic That is!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It,s gone again ...... Traffic That is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: It,s gone again ...... Traffic That is! Reply with quote

I have had Traffic this time for a week. But today (Monday) it has gone again. Sad

Since I have had my Nuvi 310D (approx 5 weeks) I have had Traffic using the the supplied GTM 12 for approximately 50% of the time.

I think Garmin are about to lose another Customer. Back to Halfords this week.

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: It,s gone again ...... Traffic That is! Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
But today (Monday) it has gone again.
So - are others having the same problem, or is this one limited to one of the two radio companies, or even to 1 radio station...?

David - have you tried contacting Garmin about the lack of service - also, is the light on the cigaretter adaptor red or green when this happens...?
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost traffic for a short time this afternoon but then it came back. I drove to the local shopping centre and it couldn't get traffic until I was nearly there. On the way back it came on after about 2 minutes. I get faster aquisition times (for traffic) when I'm indoors using the USB power supply and mount. I think it's a signal strength or transmitter issue. I'm in South Yorkshire and I get the signal from Galaxy. Regharding the Red/ Green light thing, well my 12 v power unit has a red LED, and has always been red!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficman wrote:
I get faster aquisition times (for traffic) when I'm indoors using the USB power supply and mount.
It appears a USB cable / PC USB port is producing more power than the cigarette adaptor, which is why it works at home, but less well in the car.

Quote:
I think it's a signal strength or transmitter issue.
Others are finding a different 12v to usb cable is giving them a better and more reliable signal, which seems to indicate it's more of a power supply problem than a signal strength issue, although this is still unconfirmed.

Quote:
Regharding the Red/ Green light thing, well my 12 v power unit has a red LED, and has always been red!
Others have commented that the Nuvi power supply led is a green / red led - if it's always red it implies the Nuvi is not getting the full power it needs - can others confirm the led situation...?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extracted from my recent post

'I've recently spent sometime talking to Garmin technical support regarding the problem of intermitent reception for the GM12 TMC receiver.

The inconsistent reception is believed to be caused by the quality of the grounding of the aerial and that when a laptop is used to provide power it provides a better grounding than via a 12v car cigarette lighter socket.
Garmin have said that the solution could be a simple software update or something that might involve replacing parts. Either way although no date could be given their website would provide further update news. Also all existing owners would be retrospectively covered as well.

Until then as a DIY solution it was suggested I try stripping some of the aerial cover and winding the bare wire around the car aerial lead. Given the cost of the GM12 stripping wire and doing DIY repairs is something I said I wasn't prepared to do.I expect £150 pieces of kit to work satisfactorily from the box without the need for dodgy modification.

Also, apparently the LED on the cigarette power lead turning from red to green is an indicator of when the Nuvi internal battery is being charged. Red LED means its being charged, Green LED means the battery is fully charged and the power lead is just powering the GPS. Although my LED has always remained red even after hours of being connected to my Nuvi 310 I was told that this shouldn't have anything to with the TMC issue and that it could just be a faulty LED. Still after further querying this Garmin are sending me a replacement 12V power lead.

Finally, as Garmin have acknowledged there is an issue with the GM12 and Nuvi the operator I spoke to said that those who'd prefer it should be entitled to a refund from the place of purchase.For the majority this will probably be Halfords where they bought their Nuvi and GM12 as part of the 310D exlusive package. Before returning to the store it may be worth phoning Halfords head office customer service to explain the situation to them. '

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: