Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth connection to C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth connection to C710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth connection to C710 Reply with quote

Could one of you clever guys who have been changing files on your C710s please tell me how you do it?

I can pair the C710 with the PC, but having done so I can't see into the C710 from the PC, or select a C710 file to copy across.

If I look at 'My Bluetooth Places' in My Computer, the C710 isn't shown at all.

So how do you do it?

I've used a desktop PC with a bluetooth dongle; and also to a laptop with built-in bluetooth. Same result in both cases.

Sal
IanCurtis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need BT 2.0 or at least 1.2 on your computer to make this work. I have BT 1.1 on my PC and I did not get it to work there. It works just great on my iMac (BT 2.0) though. I can delete maps, add voices etc. very easy.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanCurtis wrote:
I think you need BT 2.0 or at least 1.2 on your computer to make this work. I have BT 1.1 on my PC and I did not get it to work there. It works just great on my iMac (BT 2.0) though. I can delete maps, add voices etc. very easy.

Ian, thanks for the suggestion. However I don't think it's that. The desktop dongle is only 1.1 but the laptop is a nearly new IBM thinkpad and is most definitely V.2 bluetooth.
Any other ideas?

Sal
IanCurtis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was a bit confused with bluetooth and the file transfer program on the dvd. I noticed that it was not possible to transfer maps thru the usb cable when this application was running. Also I think this application on the dvd (I donīt rememer its name right now) is only for transferring music, pictures and contacts. So, in order to be able to transfer files from and to the Mio via bluetooth you should use the build in bluetooth explorer on your computer. Maybe I am wrong, but it worked for me. What I do and can do this far is:

1. Delete maps, add/delete music and pictures, extra voices on my Mac thru bluetooth without any Mio application. (Mio apps wonīt work on my Mac anyway.) Copying music and pictures is slow with bluetooth, though.
2. Add maps with my PC thru usb cable and the map dvd disc. If I shut down the Mio app.
3. See all the files that are on the Mio thru BT.

What I canīt do is:
Delete maps with a usb cable.

Ian
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Mio Transfer program is very limited in what it can do and I have made sure it wasn't running when I was trying to use other programs. I've tried using ActiveSync through the USB cable (I use ActiveSync for an HP WindowsCE device), but even that won't connect.
I used the French unlocking scheme posted on here, and that lets you run a file management program in the C&10, but that couldn't see down the USB or over bluetooth back to the PC. But it did let me copy files like the POI over to the SD card, so I could get them out that way. However that's a very slow and clumsy way to do it.
I'm going to follow up your first suggestion as a last resort. Tomorrow I'll get a BT 2.0 dongle and try that on the PC. I'm told that the laptop has 2.0, but perhaps 2.0 on the desktop will work - I'm getting desperate now.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you installed the bluetooth dongle did you just allow Windows XP to find the hardware and install its generic drivers. With these dongles you should receive a software and drivers cd. The generic XP ones only install the dongle drivers not software to allow file transfer etc.

If you use the cd that came with the dongle and let it install everything from there you should then have at least file transfer and bluetooth headset as option in the installed software.

If you didn't get any software with the dongle then I would suggest downloading Bluesoleil from www.bluesoleil.com. Use the standard version from the download section. It's limited to 5mb transfer unless you pay the licence fee but that's only about Ģ7. However it will at least allow you to transfer the voice file over to your Mio.

:D :D
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought lowie.
I know the BT on the desktop is working properly because I regularly use it to swap files with an HP PDA - but that only has BT 1.2
I'm hoping to pick up a BT 2 dongle this afternoon. They are pretty cheap now so it's worth a try.

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EUREKA!
I have been to Maplin for a BT 2.0 dongle, chose one that came with BlueSoleil software, and it works!
I'm now in business with access to all the files.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Sal
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you proposing to do now you can gain access to the files Sal?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:
What are you proposing to do now you can gain access to the files Sal?

I'm never happy with anything until I've explored its full potential, and the first step was to get inside it. I shall have a play with the voices (although I quite like the Englishman - he's really suave!)
If no-one else comes up with a way of doing it, I'd like to find a way of replacing the POI file with a better camera database, preferably the PGPSWorld one. As I mentioned in another thread, I have had a look at the Mio POI file with a hex editor and it seems a fairly simple format.

Sal
Stefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal,

Do you know where the POIs are stored on the 710? I cannot find them. I am trying to work out how to transfer single POI files. I had a look at the early mio model files and they seem to be ASCII files with a .bmp for the icon. I looked for something similar in the files on the 710 but could not find anything. (I'm at the limit of my knowledge now.) My, simplisitic, idea is to try and find where the files live, see what they look like and then use the bluetooth to import other POIs with the same format.

It might be crude and completely wrong but you have got to start somewhere.

Re TMC antenna - I went looking at Maplins today to see if I could find anything to act as a splitter in my car antenna lead. There was nothing there. I could make something up but it will not be as tidy. I might even attach another antenna using one of the types that attaches to the wondscreen, just trying to keep it tidy at present.

I'm off down the M1 tomorrow so I will observe the behaviour of the TMC again and report back.

Regards,

Stef
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in \MyFlashDisk\miomap\MioMap\miotc\pois\
you will see a file "SpeedCams.mtc".
If you open this file with a suitable editor you will see that it has a long header, followed by camera data for all of Europe. Each camera record is 72 bytes long and it's not too difficult to read the details. There are 16,259 records in total.
Unfortunately there is some sort of checksum or record count involved. I carefully removed a few French cameras without disturbing anything else in the file, and when I copied the shortened file back into the C710 it would no longer display any cameras at all. It's very likely that the header contains some sort of data to verify that the file hasn't been edited, and this may be difficult to decode.
The other interesting thing is that I couldn't find any other files to correspond to the other POI info such as petrol stations.
Stefan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the bit about other POIs is interesting. I'm wondering if the info is embeded somewhere. This will make it all the harder to import POI files. I'm wondering if it is impossible to import 'normal' POI files. I have shown my home address as a POI by way of experimentation. It came up with a fairly uninspiring icons to chose from. I suspect that the software will only allow this 'owener driven' one off capability. (Hope not, I find the ability to install POI files very useful.)

Reagrds,

Stef
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some more time playing this evening. It's easier now I have it unlocked with a file manager running on the device and bluetooth going at last. I can see some alternatives for updating the cameras and also for other POI's. Needs more work...

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know if you have a BT2.0 dongle?

I have a Bluetake BT009X dongle. Under Bluetooth devices the Mio (mine is a C510e) can see my PC but there appear to be no services. On the PC "Bluetooth Devices" can see the Mio as WindowsCE Headset (Audio Device) but no services. If I go into My Bluetooth Places I cannot see anything; View My Bluetooth Services and View Devices in Range both give Windows access errors.

I'm a bit lost here Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: