Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510e
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510e

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulr99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: C510e Reply with quote

Looking very closely at one of these.

Has anybody tried and succeded in uploading the speedcamera database - I know you get mio's database free for a year but I'm thinking ahead!

thanks in advance

Paul
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: C510e Reply with quote

paulr99 wrote:

Has anybody tried and succeded in uploading the speedcamera database - I know you get mio's database free for a year but I'm thinking ahead!

thanks in advance

Paul

Yes - you need to install the Miosync application off the second DVD (the map one) and then register at the Mio website. You then need to enter these settings in to Miosync and then synchronise. It seemed to work ok when I did it.

Peasemold
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - still can't get it to work. It throws up a number of different error messages. Mio support don't reply to emails.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:
Nope - still can't get it to work. It throws up a number of different error messages. Mio support don't reply to emails.

Are you using the latest version of MioSync? v1.2 is available on the website.

Sal
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sal,

I've downloaded that. Tried it. Uninstalled it. Downloaded it again. Tried it again. Tried the version on the disc. Nothing.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: C510e Reply with quote

paulr99 wrote:

thanks in advance

Paul

Thats what I'd like to know too - is the C510e / 710 compatible with the pocket gpsworld database when the 1 year is up.
Anybody know much does the Mio speed camera database cost for a year?
On another note, how often do they update the maps for these (this will be my first satnav) and how much do the updates cost?
And (finally!) can you synchronise your mobile phonebook directly with the c510e (without using Outlook?)

Thanks!
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a chance this week i will transfer the speedcamera database from my c710 and see what format it is in. It is woefully out of date on some of the locations. I had deleted the database at the weekend and downloaded via the sync progem only to find it has cameras that were taken off the M6 2 years ago (tested this morning) and Mio support is a total waste of space.

If it is in a database format I will see if I can use a database from pocketgps world to replace it with. (yes I subscribe to the PGPSW camera database too)

Will let you know unless someone else has already tried. :D
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: C510e Reply with quote

Paul[/quote]
Thats what I'd like to know too - is the C510e / 710 compatible with the pocket gpsworld database when the 1 year is up.
Anybody know much does the Mio speed camera database cost for a year?
On another note, how often do they update the maps for these (this will be my first satnav) and how much do the updates cost?
And (finally!) can you synchronise your mobile phonebook directly with the c510e (without using Outlook?)
Thanks![/quote]

According to this link:
http://www.poihandler.com/index.asp
POI Handler is compatible with MioMap 3

and I believe that the PocketGPSWorld camaera database is comptible with POI Handler. But as I'm a beginner here you'd better get confirmation from someone more experienced.

The degree of integration between the C710 and your phone depends on the phone type (just like other units). You'd have to try it with your phone to be sure.

Sal
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SallyAnn i think you will find that poihandler.com is just a site to download poi's from. It isn't a software program. The POI's they produce are indeed compatible with miomap 3 but there isn't a 3rd party program as far as i know that can be used on the c510/710. I did email navigating.de about a program call poiwarner and they advised that it wasn't supporting miomap3 at the moment. But who knows in the future. Can but hope as it would be nice to use pocketgpsworlds camera database which is a 1000 percent better than the current Mio Sync database. Crying or Very sad
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowie wrote:
SallyAnn i think you will find that poihandler.com is just a site to download poi's from. It isn't a software program. The POI's they produce are indeed compatible with miomap 3 but there isn't a 3rd party program as far as i know that can be used on the c510/710. I did email navigating.de about a program call poiwarner and they advised that it wasn't supporting miomap3 at the moment. But who knows in the future. Can but hope as it would be nice to use pocketgpsworlds camera database which is a 1000 percent better than the current Mio Sync database. Crying or Very sad

Understood about POI Warner, but do you NEED it?. The C710 seems to be quite OK about telling you about POI's, so if you could convert the pocketgpsworld camera database into the C710's format, wouldn't that be good enough?
I have just been looking inside the POI file from my C701, and it seems a fairly simple format. Interestingly enough, a number of the camera sites it contains are labelled "POI-Warner RECORD" followed by a date, so we know where it has come from!
I did download one of the free POI files from POIhandler, in what was alleged to be Mitac format, but it is in fact only standard CSV format so not exactly useful.

Sal
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BTW if anyone knows how a Nolia 6230 will work with the 510 as far as synchronising phonebooks goes, I'd appreciate it
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rondun.
I'm using a 6230i with a 710 and the phonebook doesn't transfer to the unit, or at least I haven't got mine to yet!
You can add your own contacts which are saved in the unit itself. Minor nuisance factor.
So far I've only put in the number's I'm likely to dial on the road. Haven't had time to put the other 240 odd numbers in yet.
Something to do on a rainy day I suppose. Laughing

CeeJay.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a new topic on replacing the camera database, here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43218

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: