Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Faulty TT One - PC World
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Faulty TT One - PC World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve170
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Faulty TT One - PC World Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone knew the legal position re. faulty goods. I bought my TT One about 6 weeks ago and now the sound has gone all screwy. My Father took it back to PC World this morning for me and some unhelpful (and slightly rude) assistant told him they wouldn't exchange it and couldn't do anything until Monday when they would ring Tom Tom. It would then likely have to be sent back for repair.

I suspect they have no legal obligation to exchange it after 28 days, but I still think they're customer service is rubbish. I'm going away this afternoon and really needed it. I'm sure other stores would just exchange it in the interests of customer service.

Cheers,
Steve.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats happed to the sound does the speaker distort ir does the voice just not work properly

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be 90 days with electricals......

I sorry to say it but the only way you'll get PC World to do anything os go back and kick off....... (This is a very common story).

I hate doing this myself but if they send it back to TT you'll be without it for quite a while.

Chris
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ya they cant do that for 1 yr you can have your money back 8O

have a look here

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/Fact%20Sheets/page24700.html
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the DTI
Quote:

Q2. Do I only have rights for 30 (or some other figure) days after purchase?

No. Depending on circumstances, you might be too late to have all your money back after this time, but the trader will still be liable for any breaches of contract, such as the goods being faulty. In fact, the trader could be liable to compensate you for up to six years.

peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as simple as all that. All goods are meant to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose when sold. New regs mean that if any product breaks down within first 6 months it is assumed that it was faulty when sold, an the onus is on the seller to prove otherwise.

So they are in breach of contract, and have an obligation to put it right. However probably too late to reject the goods outright - but can insist that PC World sort it out and get it repaired - and if you need the unit whilst it is in repair and they will not give you a loan system then you can hire one and claim the money from them. That is the law - getting it enforced is always the problem
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
steve170
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
whats happed to the sound does the speaker distort ir does the voice just not work properly

All sound (spoken instructions, POI 'bongs' etc) is distorted, so it just sounds like static with the voice barely audible underneath.

I tried taking it back to another PC World and they also refused to swap it, claiming they would have to send it back to Tom Tom, which would take at least 7 to 10 days. The problem is, they're not refusing to have it repaired, they're just claiming they aren't allowed to replace it after 28 days. Which, I suspect is all they're obliged to do.

As far as I'm concerned, it a case of the usual standard of woeful service from PC World and the whole Dixons group. I'm sure if I bought an electrical good from Tesco, they'd have no quibbles about replacing it if something went wrong after a few weeks.
fatmanscoop
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your quite right .. my sister has had 3 in car dvd players replaced by argos over the last year without a reciept or any fuss. I feel PC world will argue that they are acting as the manufacturer's agent (tomtom) so its up to tomtom to sort and we all know how good there customer service is Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes dont we

Liverpool F.C rocks
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter that TomTom made the device. In UK law any contract is between you and PC World and PC World are liable for any faults in the unit when purchased, even if the faults do not appear until later. Tell them that if they want ot talk to TomTom about it then that is their problem not yours. You have no contract with TomTOm and TomTom have no liability for your problem. Their liability starts whern PC World send the broken unit back to them, but that should be well after you have walked away with your working replacement!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
It does not matter that TomTom made the device. In UK law any contract is between you and PC World and PC World are liable for any faults in the unit when purchased, even if the faults do not appear until later. Tell them that if they want ot talk to TomTom about it then that is their problem not yours. You have no contract with TomTOm and TomTom have no liability for your problem. Their liability starts whern PC World send the broken unit back to them, but that should be well after you have walked away with your working replacement!

I couldn't agree more - There has been many a story of PC World trying this old chestnut on here. Go back armed with the facts (print it out and stick it under thier noses) and demand that something is done about it.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: