Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG500 w euro map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG500 w euro map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geordiewal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: TTG500 w euro map Reply with quote

I have just purchased the Tom tom go 500, unfortunately I thought that it came with a full door to door mapping of Europe. Serves me right for not fully researching before I ordered it. Anyway to get round the problem I have ordered the western europe map download from the tomtom website. My query is, will I need to buy an extra memory card, I need UK, France and Spain on all together.

Thanks in advance, great website, only wish that I had found it earlier.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could manage with a 512MB SD Card, although for a few pounds more a 1GB Card would give you more room for expansion. TT gets a little bigger each time.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!!!

The TomTom download is not the seamless set!! You will download a copy of the map you already have - and six similar maps for each of the countries/regions of Europe!!

Quote from the TT page

"This product allows you to download the seven individual maps of Great Britain, DE AT CH PL CZ, France, Italy, Iberia, Benelux and Scandinavia. All of these maps are detailed regional maps connected to the Western European major road network."

If you want to load all of these you need a 2GB card.

The latest seamless map from TT comes on a 1GB card and does not include anything east of Germany/Austria. It is the same card as the one that comes in the GO710. This one: http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=168&Product=210&Category=&Context=1&Language=1 but I think TT are out of stock (update coming?).

Seem to be available here:
http://www.inkino.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95&products_id=1038
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Geordiewal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks for the reply's, I have realised that the download is not the seamless one, but I am off down to Northern Spain in a couple of weeks time for my hols. I gather that I will have to load the France map and then the Spanish map as and when I need them, but will I manage to have the 3 maps all on the one card that comes with TTG500, or do I need a larger card presuming that a blank card is readily available.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wht you do is put the uk plus map from the cd on the sd card then put the france and spain maps on the card as well the uk plus map will route across countries and if you want to stop anywhere and need local coverage then youll have to select the france map the same applies to spain

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the 500, you will already have the GB plus map showing the route to Spain by main roads. There is not much room spare on the SD card, so you will need a bigger one.

If you don't buy the seamless 1GB card, the map you choose to use will depend on you route and needs.

If you want to navigate without switching maps, the general advice is to install the plus map of the destination country (i.e. Iberia) you will then have the main road all the way to the Spanish border. At this pint (on the same map) you will find that you get a lot more detail and can find everywhere in Spain and Portugal.

If you don't intend to go far into the wilds of France on the way down, you may not need the France map at all.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check the cost of what you are buying.

1GB seamless map on a card is about £150.

You can't download that map, so anything else will not be as good. You will have less detail, or you will be switching maps.

If you need France in detail as well, you could do other things:

1. Buy the CD set of maps for £103 and add a 1GB card (approx £20) and load GB France and Iberia. Total £ 123.

2. Buy the separate France and Iberia maps on SD card at £69 each. Total £148.

3. Download the separate France and Iberia maps for £42 each and add to a 1GB card. Total £104.

Remember, if you buy 2 maps from TomTom download, you might as well get the full W Europe download at the same price

4. Copy your existing card to a 2GB card (approx £40) and add the downloaded maps of France and Iberia. Total £124. You will have all of your stuff on one card this way.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: