Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom application not starting with SPAIN map CF Card in?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom application not starting with SPAIN map CF Card in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom application not starting with SPAIN map CF Card in? Reply with quote

Last year I took the plunge and purchased the Maps of Western Europe on the CDs and put the Spain map on a CF card and the GB plus map on an SD card.
I went to Spain and happily switched between the two maps inside of the TT Nav5.1 application. This year I went to Spain again and the navigation again worked fine.
On the last day in Spain the TT application would not start! I would tap the tomtom logo on my "today" screen and the "red hands" would move to the bottem line, but then nothing! The "hands" just dissapeared! I then tapped tomtom logo again and the "hands" appeared further to the left on the bottem line, but then dissapeared again. The more times I tried to start the further along the "hands" would move. I tried a soft re-set and a back-up restore but the application would not start!
Back in the UK I found that by removing the CF card the TT application would work fine.
Any one out there know what is going-on please?

Dave.

SAMSUNG Galaxy S8 - CoPilot Europe and Australia

chrisack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar happen last year. I had to delete the iberia cfg file in \My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings to get it going again. You lose all your favourites by deleting the config file though.
Chris
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom application not starting with SPAIN map CF Card Reply with quote

Yes, but how do you delete files from a PPC without having a laptop with you to "sync" with?

Dave.

chrisack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, I'm afraid. I use the Explore facility on MS ActiveSync to copy/move/delete files on the PDA via my desktop.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the file explorer in Windows Mobile - press and hold on a file name brings up a context menu.

It may be basic but it does work. You can rename files, not 100% sure about delete though. Finding the correct file can be challenging as it tends to hide file extensions and filenames can be too long to fit on the screen. The rename facility copies in useful here because you then get to see the name and then dont change it.

There are also many freeware utilities which do this better.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Greenglide says, delete is in the context menu. But first make a copy of any file before deletion as a safety net. There is no recycle bin on these things.
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, I have learnt something new about PPC files now! CHRISACK, when you removed the .cfg file did the application still work? What else is in this cfg file?
Do you think that in some way my SPAIN.cfg file became currepted? I had been adding some "gps positions" as favorites while walking around the resort. (Adding in street and villa names). The application only failed on my last day in Spain and it had initially started-up ok but I turned it off because the bluetooth reciever was taking a long time to accuire a sat fix and I have found that it is better to get the reciever flashing first before switching on the TT application.
Smile

Dave.

chrisack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what happened to mine (the config file got corrupted). Apparently you shouldn't turn off the machine without closing down TomTom first, as it can corrupt the config file.
What I did was to rename it [filename].old just in case, but it generates a new config file on start-up with just the default values.
What I learnt from the whole thing was to store everything as POIs, which are held as separate files, and just use Favourites as duplicates as and when I want them - so that if the config is rewritten I don't lose my data.
chrisack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS the file name is actually IberiaNavigatorSettings.cfg (for the whole map)
daveLDC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the CF card contents to another card and see if that makes it work.
SEIDIO 2500 Amplified mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: