Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C510 +TMC or C550?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C510 +TMC or C550?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Garmin C510 +TMC or C550? Reply with quote

Hi
-I am thinking of buying a Garmin C510 and a TMC receiver, or the C550- which includes a receiver, but seems more expensive. I don't need Bluetooth- which would be the better option?
Also can I download routes etc from the MapSource software I already have on my pc ?
Many thanks, Margaret.
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont need the bluetooth feature of the C550 buy the C510D (note the D) package from Halfords for £299 (about £50 more than the standard C510) also comes with maps of europe on a dvd.Quite a bargain really.

regards
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention NO you cannot download routes with Mapsource on these models

regards

DracUK
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DracUK, -many thanks. I didn't realise the Halfords C510D includes the TMC receiver as well as the MapSource disc.- Anyway I've just bought one.
No doubt I shall be writing again when I get stuck!

Margaret.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: How is c510D ? Reply with quote

malc,
How are you getting on with c510D ? bought one Saturday but am unable to get TMC to work Crying or Very sad Am wondering whether to return unit to Halfords ?

Rgds
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- very pleased with Garmin C510D. It is able to lock onto satellites - for position fix, even indoors, quite easily.
It is not quite so good at getting its TMC signal, but no real problems in the car or house if I position aerial wire behind a window. I did update software through Garmin's website as soon as I got the unit though, -which included a Firmware update for the TMC receiver. Suggest you try same if not done already. malc77
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Malc, did do an update as soon as I got it and also loaded safety camera database from poihandler.com

I think the TMC is working on and off now. What threw me is that when I go into settings-Traffic-Subscriptions it comes up with the message

A subscription has not been activated. Activation will occur automatically after your unit acquires GPS satellites while receiving a signal from the traffic provider. [OK]

but within that menu it also shows 2 lines one stating

RAC Live: Lifetime subscription

the other

V-Traffic : Not activated.

On the front screen (am actually playing around with Garmin indoors as we speak!) I have the double car icon next to the spanner icon and when I press this roads come up e,g M1, A14 with symbols e.g A1 with a red triangle and 2 cars inside, when you press this line even more detailed info is available e.g from/to/severity/description, I take it this is "TMC?" What I also don't understand is, is there any order to this ? Do you only get pertinent info to a planned route or is all / every TMC broadcast for every road /delay broadcast to your Garmin ? I live in East London and am getting info on M60 , M18 etc ?

Rgds

Richard

p. s Have you loaded camera database? Seems to work Ok and even has ability to "monitor" speed in speed restricted zones, constantly chiming! How can you acknowledge that your aware your in a speed restricted area and prevent C510D from driving you nuts pinging constantly. For areas like road works this is even more of a pain as worksite limits change and road works are sometimes not even current!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: