Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Proximity alerts - Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Proximity alerts - Garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: POI Proximity alerts - Garmin Reply with quote

I've done a search, but haven't been able to find an answer to my question. Whilst we are all aware that a Safety camera database allows us to receive alerts to warn of a forthcoming camera, what do you need to do any other POI database (i.e Shell garages, or whatever) to receive an alert advising of the proximity of the relevant POIs?

I know that Garmin chose for their units not to display lots of Icons at once, so as not to clutter up the display. Speed cameras are an obvious exception, and I know that others on this forum have managed a workaround so that the camera locations are displayed irrespective of your speed.

I was just wondering what information needs to be included in the database to generate an alert, and if it is possible to vary the distance at which the alert is received?

The reason I am asking this is that I have an old car that I like to run on Shell Optimax, and it only does 10mpg, so a tank doesn't last too long. It would be nice if I could create a Shell garage database that would give me an alert, and display an icon, whenever I am within a mile (or whatever distance) of a Shell garage.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: POI Proximity alerts - Garmin Reply with quote

Sorarse wrote:

The reason I am asking this is that I have an old car that I like to run on Shell Optimax, and it only does 10mpg, so a tank doesn't last too long. It would be nice if I could create a Shell garage database that would give me an alert, and display an icon, whenever I am within a mile (or whatever distance) of a Shell garage.

I have created a Shell poi for you had to covert a ov2 to csv database of 1015 locations.
Unzip, 2 files present put in the poi loader folder you use and select using Garmin POILoader software manual load, set proximity alert, defaults to 0mph just alter the setting you want in feet (1 mile = 5 280 feet)

Have tried in simulation mode and poi shown on map with initial warning and red text of Shell Garage ID/Location.

Remember if you load this along with other poi's you will need to load these manually also don't rename the file as the word speed is used in the background of the software.

There are a number of other ways to create the end result and no doubt someone will come forth but this take my word for it is the simple solution as i have spent some time experimenting with gpx files.

Here you go http://makeashorterlink.com/?V27B24E4D let me know how you get on Exclamation
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Timber. Will have a go at loading that today. Just wondered how that will work alongside some other POIs that recommend you should use Express mode when loading them via POILoader.

Am also curious to know how the speed camera database works, as they do not have the word speed in the file names - I thought it may have been possible to create a Shell Garage POI database in the same manner as the speed cameras.

Lots to learn still!
wherethehellarewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorarse,

If you have a look here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41517 you will find that there is a bug in the latest version of the POI loader which is displaying proximity alerts for all POI's not just speed cameras. Most people don't want it but it sounds like it could solve your problem simply Laughing
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorarse wrote:
Thanks for that Timber. Will have a go at loading that today. Just wondered how that will work alongside some other POIs that recommend you should use Express mode when loading them via POILoader.

Am also curious to know how the speed camera database works, as they do not have the word speed in the file names - I thought it may have been possible to create a Shell Garage POI database in the same manner as the speed cameras.

Lots to learn still!

Suggest you look at the help files which are included within the POILoader application all will be revealed
Quote:
If a file contains "GATSO," "mobile," "SPECS," "safety," "speed," or "camera," but does not have a speed, POI Loader uses a default alert speed of 0, which means you will always be alerted. You can override this default value by entering the speed in Manual mode.

The reason why to manual load is to give the distance you would want the poi warning to occur which for this in my opinion would be at leaste 1/2 mile.

Remember that the poi will only alarm when within range and also on the road you are travelling in navigation mode, in map view it would alarm any where within the set distance.

The poi's are all capable to be used as destination's so you can select them and navigate as required.

Yes agree with "wherethehellarewe"there is a bug in the latest POILoader software but the instructions given are correct.

if you want here is the previous POILoader release http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1094354D
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I didn't even realise the Help file was there inPOILoader, will have a look through that later. Also interesting what that other thread was saying about proximity alerts for all POI when using Loader 2.3.1

Have just checked my POILoader, and it's telling me it's version 2.6. Certainly I haven't experienced proximity alerts for anything other than cameras.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very useful thread guys - thanks

Timber : Just wondering how you ran "simulation" ? It would be excellent if we could simulate it before setting out and finding out nothing works 8O

timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
very useful thread guys - thanks

Timber : Just wondering how you ran "simulation" ? It would be excellent if we could simulate it before setting out and finding out nothing works 8O

The method used on a Garmin I3 (other gps units have the same kind of facility )

Switch unit on.
If in the house just leave unit on, up will come a message
Quote:
Trouble tracking satellites Are you indoors now answer yes

Now select where to and destination and start navigation up will come a message
Quote:
Do you want to simulate driving this route answer yes

Navigation will now start and before you ask you can't alter the speed Exclamation

If outside and you wish to simulate Turn GPS off in the settings go directly to select where to and destination and start navigation up will come a message as above.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely fantastic !! Just when I thought it couldnt get any better ... this is quite a useful feature ! Am I right to assume all the cameras and stuff will be shown on screen just like when driving in real time ?

Thank a lot for explaining it - this site needs a karma feature so I can up your rating Laughing Laughing
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
Am I right to assume all the cameras and stuff will be shown on screen just like when driving in real time ?

Yes the camera poi icons, bings/bongs and warning text on the top of the screen will show up on your simulated route as will the estimated time of arrival in the btm left hand corner.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent ! Thanks Timber !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: