Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Drooping 510 mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Drooping 510 mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Drooping 510 mount Reply with quote

I bought my 510 4 weeks ago and apart from initial teething problems it is OK and working well. The mount didn't droop at all at first, but has started to over the past few days. It is securely attached and fully tightened. It is very irritating.

Are tomtom addressing this or is there a fix someone has worked out?
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not had a prob with mine as yet but make sure window is cleen and when locking mount to window it's 2 clicks round most were only turning it 1 click.
If still not happy take it back to shop and say mount drops and ask them to change it
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, many thanks you for your help but as I stated the mount is fully tightened. In addition, under UK consumer law, taking it back to where you bought it from a month after the purchase is a waste of petrol. After 14 days they have no responsibility and would refer you to the manufacturers warranty. As for cleanliness of the screen, I fail to see what bearing that would have. The thing is stuck like a limpet. It isn't coming off the screen, but the adjustable ball and socket isn't locking firmly, hence it slowly sinks southward.
I've since spoken to tomtom support who didn't utter any confirmation of a problem, but immediately offered a replacement mount, which I have obviously accepted. Their readiness to supply a replacement would suggest to me that there is a problem but they aren't shouting it from the rooftops.
I still have a time reset issue after upgrading to 6.11, a fact that didn't become apparent until after I'd spoken to support. It reset itself again tonight.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you might have got it local in which case it dont hurt to ask have read some people have had it changed by shop after 8 weeks.
with me saying about screen that was my bad sorry thinking of another post.
I would agree there is a problem with some of the mounts and tomtom are not letting people know money money money.
As to your time issue i have not hade that even after upgrading filmwere but will keep a check on it
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a curious phenomenon. I had cause to remove the mount as well as the 510 today when I parked in a dodgy area. I put the mount back on the screen in a higher position than it was recently and nearer to where I had first positioned it and it stopped drooping!

I can only conclude that the screen has a different curvature at the position I now have it, resulting in a stronger suction and subsequent grip of the socket on the ball. Does that make any sense to anyone? I haven't dismantled the ball and socket or the mount suction cup so I don't know how the tightening action applies pressure on the ball and socket. Tony's clean screen advice might not be too far off the mark after all
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have mine on the side of the windscreen, but since changing it to the centre of the screen, it does not droop at all.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean said
Quote:
I used to have mine on the side of the windscreen, but since changing it to the centre of the screen, it does not droop at all

That would suggest that my theory has some logic behind it. Mine is in an '06 Mondeo. Mounted with the base of the 510 approx 50 mm from the dash in the centre of the screen and there is no droop. It stays in the position that you set it. Mounted 30-40mm lower and it droops over time (30 mins or so) so that the screen is pointing downwards slightly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I hadn't had an issue until I got a new car last week and now both the mounts I have droop. I'll experiment with positions, at the moment I have it positioned so the bottom edge of the GO rests on the instrument binnacle.

On a related note, TomTom are aware that an issue exists and are investigating solutions.
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

On a related note, TomTom are aware that an issue exists and are investigating solutions.

And they are sending out replacements. Usual "don't admit there is a problem" approach but mine is in the post apparently.

:D
Take a look at this forum for more chat on the subject.

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?s=b7116de67dc831324e514e8a07c862e6&showforum=68
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperm wrote:
And they are sending out replacements. Usual "don't admit there is a problem" approach but mine is in the post apparently.

But that will be the same design, the hope is that soem batches are worse than others. AIUI a re-design is being investigated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: