Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I had to use a paper map...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I had to use a paper map...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markbatey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: I had to use a paper map... Reply with quote

Hi,
For the first time, tomtom let me down the other day - and to my shame I had to get the map out. This is what happened: Driving down the A1 in North Yorkshire with Dover set as a destination, I heard on the radio that the road was blocked a few miles south of Catterick. I pulled off at Scotch Corner, and tried to get an alternative route that would get me back on the A1 at Leeming Bar about ten miles further south.
I couldn't find anything in the software that would let me do it. I tried "avoid roadblock" but the furthest off you can programme that on my V5.0 is I think three miles away. I tried "avoid part of route", but my route was on the A1 for the next hundred miles, and I only wanted to avoid the next ten!
This is just what I got the gps for, and I couldn't make it help me out. Am I missing something here? Really don't want to get that old paper map out again if I can help it!
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave motorway and plot a route to the junction on the A1 you want to rejoin at. Then tell it to avoid A1. It will then plot you to the A1 at the Junction not using the A1. Then you can plot to Dover just as you reapproach the A1 at that junction. Works for me.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's alot of fuss and bother inputting another route and having to tell it which junction you want to go to.

I agree with markbatey - why is there not an easier option? Or is there...? Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is. Use Mapopolis and enter the avoid/route through directly on the screen...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eillo7 wrote:
That's alot of fuss and bother inputting another route and having to tell it which junction you want to go to.

I agree with markbatey - why is there not an easier option? Or is there...? Confused

If you read the original post, that is exactly what the poster wanted to do. He wanted to get back on the road at an exact point using TT, and I have demonstrated how to do that. As I see it, if you use TT you have three options -

1) Sit in traffic

2) Rely on TT rerouting which isn't guaranteed to get you back on the road at the point you want, or

3) Do as I suggest which take a few seconds but doesn't require TT to be psychic!

TT is a tool. It does what you ask. It can't do what you don't tell it, and it can't guess how much of the A1 you don't want to use without listing ever section of the route. If it did that no doubt people would complain about what a fag it was scrolling through junctions when they have no idea what the one they want is called! As I have demonstrated, if you know where you want to be, just tell TT to go there. TT even makes it as simple as pointing to a spot o na map. It is what TT is designed to do!
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian, I did read the original post thank you...I'd be a bit of a chump posting replies without doing so, wouldn't I? Rolling Eyes

The OP was remarking that the maximum roadblock avoidance is 3 miles, and avoiding part of route, as the obvious easy alternative, is sometimes impractical.

Your solution is indeed elegant and serves the need - but the point I was making is that it would be good if there were a way that involved less input. For example, an option to avoid roadblock for X miles, or a longer default option than 3 miles.

This could even be achieved 'on the move' with some care, without requiring a stop to re-route.

I'm sorry if I offended with my choice of words (which were aimed more at the limitations of the software). I was not intending to belittle your reply which was entirely correct.

...and thank you for pointing out that you can route by selecting a point on the map - that was quite useful as I had forgotten that option exists. Smile
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a waypoint slected off the map would have done what the OP wanted

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken! :D

I agree that it would be wonderful if TT did losts more than it does. However, most things people want to do it will do wit ht a small amount of work.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always recommend keeping an up-to-date map with you just in case. Yes there are ways around most routing problems - but sometimes it is easier to have a look at a map which shows a far greater area around a blockage than any PDA could ever hope to (at a reasonable scale).

Additionally, there are problems other than blockages to take into account - the technical ones which render your satnav useless.

Another advantage of an atlas is that it is usually more up-to-date than any electronic maps, especially with new roads which are often displayed 'dotted in' with an expected opening date - something you never get with the electronic ones, which for technical reasons can't include any road until it is actually open.
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
especially with new roads which are often displayed 'dotted in' with an expected opening date - something you never get with the electronic ones, which for technical reasons can't include any road until it is actually open.

Hmmm. Not so in my experience. The delightful Jane tried to route me down the Royston bypass, which was clearly not only not open, but also nowhere near finished. I guess I may have gotten away with it had I been driving a JCB. Not sure what the technical reasons are to which you refer, but it just ain't so.

Nonetheless, would totally endorse your comments about taking a recent paper map, if only to leave it on the front passenger seat so the lowlifes think you ain't got satnav.....
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technical reasons are that until a road is actually open you can't (shouldn't) route anyone down it, and as expectecd dates are not always the actual date, they can't be programmed in.

I am very suprised to find that you were directed down a new unfinished road as they maps just don't include unfinished roads (errors excepted of course) - could the new road be over a previous road (ie closed and then widened for the bypass) or perhaps the instruction refered to the road layout before the new road appeared.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
could the new road be over a previous road (ie closed and then widened for the bypass) or perhaps the instruction refered to the road layout before the new road appeared.
The Baldock By-Pass was a completely new road, cut through virgin soil.8O

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, it looks if the map data supplied was in error, since if I understand correctly, it is not supposed to contain any unfinished sections of road (or is this just a result of the way the map data is compiled so that the navigation software can use it?).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: