Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interference Using 910 MP3 Player
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interference Using 910 MP3 Player
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edjharris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Interference Using 910 MP3 Player Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've been having problems with interference when using the MP3 player on my GO 910 while connected to my car stereo.

I get static and electrical "fuz" noise when I accelerate. It's not too bad when listening to music (though still annoying), but it can make speech MP3s impossible to listen to.

Through trial and error, I've worked out that it must be something to do with the power cable, as I don't get the problem when I'm running the 910 off its battery.

It seems the power cable is picking up the electrical signals from my car's engine when it's running. They are always there in the background, and get much louder when I accelerate. I have a VW Golf MK4 if it makes a difference.

I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem, and if anyone has found a workaround? Is it possible to get shielded power cables for example?

Thanks,

Ed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, does the interferance increace with engine revs? if it does I would suspect the supression unit on the alternator, or the HT leads to the spark plugs (if fitted - it could be diesel powered) - either way the simple answer is to fit an electical noise supression device to the cigy socket powering the TomTom unit, its a simple fit soldering a capacitor across the terminals of the socket - check out your local Maplins store for advice, or possibly Halfords (but I suspect they won't know what you are talking about) - Mike
edjharris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it does increase with engine revs, so it sounds like your thoughts are correct.

The car is a diesel by the way.

Could you tell me exactly what to ask for, or point me to a good website, as I don't have much idea about this stuff at the moment?

Thanks for your help,

Ed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most certainly the alternator output that is causing the noise, the alternator will be fitted with a noise supression unit, but these can break down,, they only cost pennies, so find a local Automotive electical workshop, or a decent automotive accesory shop, and let them deal with the problem, You are better off eliminating the noise at source rather than filtering the noise at the point of conection - Mike
duttonst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 910 does seem to be exceptionally sensitive to this type of noise. I had *exactly* the problem you describe and luckily found someone in Halfords who actually knew what they were talking about.

I ended up buying a ground-loop isolator - about 15 quid - which is very easy to wire-up (2 phono in, 2 out, no soldering). It's completely solved the problem for me.

Hope this helps,

Andy
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly did you fit the ground loop isolator? As far as I understand it would only work if you are using the audio out from the GO910.
duttonst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before fitting the isolator I had the audio-out of the 910 directly connected to my car stereo via an fm modulator (although I'm not sure if that's relevant). I connected the isolator in between the 910 and the fm modulator - it took a few seconds.

You mention your 910 is connected to your car stereo but you don't mention how....are you somehow doing this without using the audio out cable?

BTW, I've seen a number of posts on this issue and I think there may be a bit more to it than faulty alternator noise suppressors. My car is pretty new and I've connected a number of other audio devices to it without this problem. The 910 does seem to be very sensitive.

Cheers,

Andy
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have this problem when listening through the internal speaker?
duttonst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember....except that the quality through the internal speaker wasn't exactly brilliant.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If edjharris is having this problem when listening to MP3s on the internal speaker, the isolator is not going to help and he'll need a noise supressor on the DC feed.
duttonst
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but he said it was connected to his car stereo :D
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he did - I missed it, my apologies. The isolator it is then.
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem for me - what convinced me it wasn't the TomTom's output per se is if you plug in a set of headphones directly to the TomTom's external jack - on mine the quality is then first class with no noise whatsoever.

Worth a try before doing the 'ground loop thing' as it will confirm whether it is a ground loop problem or something else.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to get hold of now and less than £10 see HERE - Mike
AVRHack2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you're a superstar! Was going to go to Halfords and probably pay £25, or solder one up myself instead.

£9 now from good old Maplin - and your POI file shows me the nearest one - not that I didn't know where it is of course LMAO!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: