Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on upgrade please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on upgrade please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cinnabull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Advice on upgrade please Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

First post, so if this is one of those forums where newbies get the ale in, have a virtual round on me.

OK, its time for me to upgrade my phone, and I'm more inclined to get one that can do sat nav as well. I've no experience of this on a phone, but have found s/n really useful recently on a trip to France, where I borrowed a mates medion mio. Anyway, I quite like the look of the new Orange spv m600. What I need to know before upgrading to this phone is
1. is it compatible with Tom Tom software
2. if it is, which version do I need
3. is there a better phone (orange) to use sat nav with
4. I assume I will need a bluetooth gps receiver, are there any other bits I will need,

thanks in anticipation

Stuart
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

1. yes
2. Current version is v5, but it will also be compatible with the upcoming v6
3. There's always something better available... ;-)
4. You also need to think about some kind of car mount, unless you want to use the voice navigation only. But at least you need some way to recharge the phone and the receiver on longer journeys.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cinnabull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Lutz. Do I need to install anything onto the phone itself, or is everything run from an SD card. Also, regarding the software, is it called Mobile 5 or Navigator 5 (the version for mobile phones),

cheers again

Stuart
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabull wrote:
Thanks for the reply Lutz. Do I need to install anything onto the phone itself, or is everything run from an SD card. Also, regarding the software, is it called Mobile 5 or Navigator 5 (the version for mobile phones),

cheers again

Stuart

M600 is a WM5 Pocket PC, therefore you need TTNavigator v5.2. The application will install to the device and you will have the map data on your storage card. If needed you can move the application to storage later.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That phone does look excellent. As my current contract with O2 is about to expire I might get one of those.

Trouble is at the moment I have TomTom Mobile 5 and there is no cheap or free way to exchange that for TomTom Navigator 5.

However I've heard that starting with v6 the mobile and PDA versions will be distributed together, so perhaps once v6 is out I can just upgrade my mobile version and I'll work on the M600 too.
cinnabull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. so reading the above, is TT Navigator 5 a totally different product to TT Mobile 5, or do people just call them different names. I need to get this right as its not a cheap purchase for the software. Sorry if this seems basic, but I have no experience of installing this stuff whatsoever. Also version 6, when is it out, does anyone have any details, will it be worth waiting for that or just go for the currently available one and upgrade later if poss?

cheers

Stuart
cinnabull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
That phone does look excellent. As my current contract with O2 is about to expire I might get one of those.

Trouble is at the moment I have TomTom Mobile 5 and there is no cheap or free way to exchange that for TomTom Navigator 5.

However I've heard that starting with v6 the mobile and PDA versions will be distributed together, so perhaps once v6 is out I can just upgrade my mobile version and I'll work on the M600 too.

There is an O2 version of the phone, called an xda neo, but not sure if its released over here yet.

stuart
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabull wrote:
is TT Navigator 5 a totally different product to TT Mobile 5,

Yes,
TTN=touchscreen
TTM=keypad
Therefore you need Navigator v5.2
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabull wrote:
There is an O2 version of the phone, called an xda neo, but not sure if its released over here yet.

stuart

No, it's not released. Not sure if there is any indication if it will be? O2 has the habit of releasing good phones to other markets and keeping them away from the UK Confused

TomTom Navigator 5 and TomTom Mobile 5 are completely different products. As the SPV uses a touch screen you need the Navigator product.
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My P910 (used to) use Mobile 5 and that has a touch screen.....?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symbian doesn't count. They are using a completely different compilation altogether. Not sure if the P910 touchscreen is even supported by TomTom.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, it is. It will work with the jog wheel and/or with touch-screen buttons. Both work well I have to say, but need to know if symbian mobile 5 works on which other phones?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're on the safe side with Series60 and Series90 based devices. Not too sure about S70 and S80.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, as per my other post. I'm going to get a replacement P910 to be sure that my TT5 will work with it. If it won't transfer to the P990 eventually, the P910 can stay in the car as satnav and I'll use the new phone as a phone!

Wink
cinnabull
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again guys,

Well heres a quick update. Got my spv m600 and and had TT5 installed. My mate had to install it cos I'm not too clued up in that respect. He put some poi's on as well. Bought a Holux 236 bluetooth receiver and away I went. Fantastic.

Anyway, next day I kept getting a message 'no gps signal'. No matter what I tried, zippety zap nada. Anyway after much soft resetting etc, I eventually discovered that in order to get a signal into the phone, I had to power up the receiver first. As long as I do that, when I click on the T icon, it sparks up just great.

Went to Edinburgh last w/end and the thing was awesome. I have never had sat nav before, and now I'm wondering how I ever did without it. I'm off to Hull on Sunday, and London next weekend and I bet I dont get lost once.

Oh, and those speed cam warnings are sooooo usefull !!

Oh again, quick plug for GPS for Less, they have been a great help, and an very quick supplier of the neccessary bits, found their add on this site as well.

Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: