Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK Handheld Advice Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Handheld Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robf1010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: UK Handheld Advice Please Reply with quote

Hi

I've been looking to get a handheld GPS for a while, and have finally got up to £150 to spend. For that money I'd like to get the best spec that I can.

Mostly it will be used for walking. I'm not too fussed about the detailed mapping stuff, but some of the dearer "basic mapping" ones seem to have a bit of that functionality.

The basic stuff such as location (lat/long and GB national grid), distance walked, altitude, waypoints, etc. are all useful things that I think I want. I quite like the idea of an electronic compass too, nice to have though not essential.

The ones I've been looking at most on the web are Garmin Etrex and Magellans Sportrak ranges.

I'm sure I've missed out / not thought of loads that you need to know to help me, so forgive my ignorance as a complete GPS beginner. Laughing

I'd be grateful for any advice that people can give me.

Cheers

Robf1010
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does depend on how long you intent to keep it for. If you're primary use is for out walking with no map support whatsoever, then the Garmin eTrex and Garmin eTrail software will come in at £158, or if you don't want the eTrail software you can get the eTrex for £95.

If you would like support for the future and be able to load road maps then a GPSMap76 might be better, it's a lot bigger and comes in at around £190 without any map software, but you will have the option of loading map software to it.

If you really only need the most basic of support then you may even want to look at the Geko, these are really small, lightweight, but you may find the screens a little small.

Check out the following reviews
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garminetrex.php
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmingpsmap76.php
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmingeko.php
Robf1010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some more searching, and the one I like best is the Magellan Sportrak Map. I like the functionality but still a fairly small size to hold. At £178 it's a bit over my budget, though.

Is this a good one to go for, or can I do better?

Cheers

Rob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally out of the Meridian and SporTrak Map I prefer the Meridian. It is a little larger, but it would give you storage space to insert an SD card if you're thinking of going with maps later. Performance/signal wise, I found the Meridian to bring in slightly more sats than the SporTrak Map.
Robf1010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I got a Sportrak Map.

I liked the look of the Meridian, but as I was already going over my budget I couldn't really stretch it any further.

I'm very happy with it, which is the main thing. Thanks for your help / advice.

Rob
Robf1010
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question that occurs to me now I've got my Sportrak.

With the 6MB additional built-in memory, were I to buy MapSend Streets Europe in the future, how much of the UK would fit into this 6MB space?

Would the 6MB take a country (e.g. Wales), a region (e.g. East Anglia), or a smaller unit like a county (e.g. Herts)? I realise that some areas of the same size may have more mapping info and hence take up more storage space for the same area, so an exact answer will not be possible,

Sorry for showing my ignorance (!) but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the web.

Cheers

Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: