Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA Sat-Navs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA Sat-Navs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: PDA Sat-Navs Reply with quote

Hi,
As an absolute beginner I have nothing to campare like for like.
Had a TomTom 510 for a couple of days and liked the biggish screen and ease of use.
Mine broke so am thinking of a PDA to give me the larger screen, and hopefully a little more reliability.
What kind of stuff is available? it took me ages lurking here to decide on the 510 so have never ever considered PDA's before but I wouldn't want to go back to a titchy display.
Can you set me off in the right direction?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something with a VGA screen, the Ipaq-4700 has a great screen, but the speaker isnt too loud, I would recomend this unit when combined with an amplified mount, the mount will also require the swivel/ tilt facilty (check out the Brodit range) so as to rotate the unit into the landscape mode.
There are other VGA equipped devices Dell do the x51v, the Fujitsu-Siemens LOOX 720 the final one to consider is the XDA-Exec, yes its large for a phone, but you get VGA screen, and this unit is plenty loud enough to be heard in a car without the amplified holder - Mike
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Mike,
So do we then lose the SD card and load via a data disc?
Loads of people say they are newby's but have a well rounded knowledge,they are just being polite, I am the other sort who REALLY doesn't know.
Is the GPS ability already in the PDA or do I also need some sort of receiver.
Finally, I live Manchester way, are there any shops where you can see a selection, my 510 cost £349 so similar range if poss.
Thanks for being there, all of you.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try expansys they are based in manchester so you could pick up from them there usually very helpful

if you went for the i-mate the gps is built in to the pda so all youd need was the map and appilcation in an sd card

or you could go for a bundle like this http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=130427

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: