Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth and serial?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth and serial?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Bluetooth and serial? Reply with quote

I will hopefully be getting a PDA with GPS sometime. I will most probably go for TomTom Navigator 2 but can anyone tell me if it is the same software used whether or not it is Bluetooth or Serial connection? I am thinking that if I got a GPSmart I could connect using either BT or Serial connections depending on situation and wondered whether it was possible?

While I realise that BT is a lot less cumbersome I have seen several reports of unreliablilty. Here's just one:

Quote:
While the Bluetooth devices have no wires which is one of their good points, the wired system is much more reliable as the GPS locks quicker on Cold/Warm and Hot starts. The unit is far more reliable (I have not had one 'drop out' in 3 weeks of use. SOME of the Bluetooth units have a tendancy to 'lose' their data stream which intterupts the signal to the ipaq, causing the units to stop communicating to each other therefore rendering the Ipaq in a 'GPS unavailable' state, this can happen numerous times on a journey.

It will mainly be used for GPS navigation in the car, but I would like to be able to take it out of the car when on holiday and walking around a city.

What models of Ipaq can connect using both methods?

Is GPSmart the only receiver with the two types of connection?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy it's the same software used, just a different driver whether you use CF, Cabled Mouse or Bluetooth, and this is the same with all software.

99% of the time, Bluetooth is completely fine, if you go for a proper dedicated unit like an Emtac/Socket/TomTom then you won't have many problems. Yes if the processor is overworked and you are doing other things on the Pocket PC, then the first thing will be the Bluetooth stack to drop out, but I get this about once a week when I spend around 12 hours worth of navigating with Bluetooth. TBH, I don't rate the Fortuna GPSMart that much, and Mike has also reviewed it. Unless you really need a dedicated handheld also, then I personally would go with something like an Emtac/Socket.

Holux are just about to come out with the GR-230 which will allow you to have it in Bluetooth mode or cabled mode, Earthmate BT GPS also has this option available.
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. I had read Mike's review before posting and didn't think the GPSmart was rated too badly, only being let down on construction and robustness. I am pretty careful with any kind of kit so didn't think that would be too much of a problem. Also I have seen them for a little over £100 which is a considerable difference to the Emtac/Socket.

Would you say that the Emtac/Socket is worth the extra?

What didn't you like about the GPSmart?

I am new to this so appreciate any helpful information. Smile

Regards

Andy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu have to bear in mind that the screen display is fairly poor, very pixelated compared to a Garmin/Magellan style handheld. 72.5% is one of our lowest ratings we've had in GPS Receivers.

I didn't like the pixelated screen, very wishy washy and it also felt rather plasticy.

If you're looking for an integrated Bluetooth/handheld GPS Receiver, this really is the only one on the market at present, but if you're really just after a Bluetooth Receiver, I would go with something like the Emtac/Socket or even Navman if you want to use regular batteries.
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I am just after a receiver I don't need the display. I just wondered if the Emtac was worth the extra cost, is it so much better?

Regards

Andy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emtac is much better at picking up signal, one thing to bear in mind is you do get what you pay for. There are some people on the forums here who have the GPSMart, some do like them, some don't. I guess it's really down to personal preference.

Personally I would pay the extra because the dedicated BT GPS Receivers are smaller and easier to carry around with you.
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dave. I think I will take your advice, I will just have to save up for a bit longer :P.

Do you have any particular recommendations on the IPAQ BT's? Is the 2210 the one to go for?

Andy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite really is the 2210. The main reasons is it's much smaller than previous iPAQ's, and a decent size to put in your shirt pocket. It also comes with Bluetooth and an SD and CF storage slot, allowing you to use Compact Flash GPS Receivers and still have a storage slot (SD) available for storing your maps on.

Price isn't bad, you can pick them up from £299 to £370.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: