Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I Upgrade my Medion MDPNA 250 to Windows Mobile 2005?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I Upgrade my Medion MDPNA 250 to Windows Mobile 2005?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobsagoodun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: How do I Upgrade my Medion MDPNA 250 to Windows Mobile 2005? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this group. I have a Medion MDPNA 250 (otherwise known as an MD96800) bought from Aldi recently. Since I bought it new, it has Windows CE 4.2 operating system installed. My question is, is it possible to upgrade my version of Windows to Windows Mobile 2005? and how do I do it?

The reason I want to move to Winows Mobile 2005 is that a number of applications I have tried to install (e.g. Memory Map) do not install or work correctly. From what I've read on forums like this, the reason is because the CE 4.2 operating system is limited and does not support many applications. Also, am I correct in assuming that Windows Mobile 2005 is the best operating system for me to be upgrading to?

I understand that the operating system on PDA's is installed on the internal ROM (not the SD card or the standard internal memory). Therefore it is important that I make a complete backup of the current OS on my ROM before I proceed with a Windows Mobile 2005 install. Does anyone know of a good backup program that with capture an image of my PDA's current ROM and store it on my PC? I need this ROM backup to work for my specific PDA which is a Medion MDPNA 250 (otherwise known as an MD96800). Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Windows Mobile 5 is an addon to Windows CE 5 (a GUI shell so to speak), and it is generally not possible for an end user to install Windows Mobile onto any Windows CE device. Only the device manufacturers can decide what to put onto a device. The main reason to just put Windows CE on is to prevent people like you and me from installing Windows Mobile programs onto them. Sometimes it is still possible, but most of the times the Windows CE devices are locked very tightly.

An application programmer can decide not to use any Pocket PC specific code, and can write the application in a way that it "should" be running on a Windows CE OS. But that may not be what the programmer wants to do.

And no, Windows Mobile 5 is not the best system around. It has been heavily criticised for the design decision to use flash ROM for data storage. This has led to desastrous performance on some machines (notably Dell PDAs) because of the need to do garbage collection on the flash.

Anyhow, fuggeddaboudid, and either live with what you have, or get a Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: