Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Western America maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Western America maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Western America maps Reply with quote

I can report that I have just completed 2400 miles in Arizona, Utah and Nevada using TomTom's downloaded Western America map (190+ meg) dumped on to a CF card, running on a Dell Axim X50. I would put its accuracy at 99.999% with only two obvious instances of the thing going on the blink, once in the middle of a totally empty 20-mile stretch of dual carriagewy outside Flagstaff where it insisted I turn right along a two-mile stretch! All other parameters appeared accurate.

What I forgot to do was download American voices, so it still referred to "motorway" rather than "interstate" or "freeway"

The Powermount worked fine, recharging both the bluetooth adapter and Axim and I reckon I saved $150 not having to hire one from Alamo and i didn't need my wife to navigate!

Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

Last year I used TTN5 to emigrate from Dallas to Seattle. However, I told it to choose 'fastest', rather than 'shortest', and it cost me an extra ~300 miles; very doubtful it was actually fastest. I think on long trips one should choose shortest, but for everything else, fastest.

Only hitch was in Colorado, when it told me to go up a dirt road into a trailer park, rather than to the clearly visible freeway. Otherwise, it is such a pleasure to not worry about how far the next turn is! Lifts a whole layer of anxiety of of driving, just as cruise control did years ago.

In my first two weeks in Seattle, of course I knew nothing about the city, but was able to look at 50 rent-houses and choose the best! I never knew where I was nor where I was going, but I always got there efficiently! I live in the forest now.

Ipaq 4700 in a Brodit cradle with Holux GPSslim, driving a 40' UHaul trailer, towing my Jeep. BTW, I'm a Yank, and use 'Jane', the English bird. Don't know why.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: